• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
matt205xs

Oil Coolers, Who Uses Them,

matt205xs

im currently sorting out my mi track car, and have been looking at getting an oil cooler for it,

wht size would i get away with on a 205??

also do the sandwich plates come in a kit form for the specified engine or are they universal?

thanks

kate205gti

ive kept the standard one but several ppl run with no cooler at all as the standard one is as good as none lol :o

i dont think the oil in mis get too hot generally - its more the surge issue! but im still after a mocal job when i find some money somewhere :);)

Edited by kate205gti

matt205xs

is there any difference between the 1.9 stndard one and the mocals??

d-9

Have a look at this thread:

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=57536

Pretty sure the sandwich plates are universal, they definitly should be from the design of them, as long as theres space to fit it in where the oil filter goes.

Ive got an oil cooler on my current mi, but will probably be taking it off soon as Im trying to get rid of things that can leak and I never had overheating issues.

petert
wht size would i get away with on a 205??

It depends on how hard you go, but I'd recommend 13 row minimum.

tom_m
Pretty sure the sandwich plates are universal, they definitly should be from the design of them, as long as theres space to fit it in where the oil filter goes.

they're not, the pug sandwich plate has smaller diameter connections to the mocal one. the kit mocal supply has 1/2in bsp fittings.

Jonmurgie

I don't run an oil cooler (or a finned sump) on my track Mi16 and don't get any issues after 20 minutes of spirited track driving :lol:

Just get a 'medium' size cooler that you can fit nicely somewhere... not too big though as you don't want the oil too cold!

tom_m

sounds like a ten row with an oil stat sandwich plate from mocal might be the best idea then

Anthony

I find that the finned alloy sump does a far better job of cooling the oil than the waste of space that is the standard 1.9 air/oil cooler and means you've got less oil pipes to potentially leak.

matt205xs

how much is an alloy sump??

also what would this be lik ein the winter when oil wont need cooling, will it be to cold?

d-9

free with most mi16s :lol:

Sandy

Over cooling the oil can cause immediate engine damage, overheating it reduces the service life of the oil (above 130C), the latter just means change the oil if it gets very hot. If you're determined to spend money on your oil system, get a decent temperature gauge and KNOW if you need to cool it, rather than at best wasting money, at worst creating a prolem by over-cooling. Oil stats usually resrict flow to the cooler, so it still has an effect at low temperatures and the restriction puts extra load on the pump. The oil-water cooler i've found heats up the oil faster and keeps the temp up when cruising, which is more useful to engine life than a very very occasional cooling in extreme conditions you probably won't encounter anyway!!

Edited by sandy309

d-9

any recommendations for oil gauges?

jonnie205

My advise is you do need a cooler. I have the oil temp right up on the guage with my track mi with about 5 laps of rockingham. The 8v air cooler dont seem to do all that much but it does mean you can get more oil in the system and have a bit of air cooling whcih cant do any harm. An all alloy mocal is what i have now gone for. A road car would prob be fine with no cooler however

Sandy

But what temperature is "right up on the guage", because unless you have a calibrated gauge, you just don't know. Most standard oil temp gauges top out around 100-110C, which is still a huge amount of energy away from danger.

I like the SPA gauges Doug, but the are costly! Racetech are a decent cheaper alternative.

matt205xs

i have decided to go the mocal route, ordering from tweeks tomorrow

Jonmurgie

I think you might find Think Automotive a little cheaper than Tweaks and they are the official Mocal distributor

http://www.thinkauto.co.uk

matt205xs

ahh but its who you know there who gives you good discounts.... plus i only live 10 minutes away from there,

cheers anyways

Higgy

I've been running my Mi since December with no oil cooler (do have al sump though) and its been fine. Only been used for fast road driving no track work.

I noticed that the Citroen ZX 1.9 diesel (non-turbo) I just gave my mum has a Mi style cooler fitted, probably the same one.

Higgy.

Sign in to follow this