• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest woll

Uprating 1.6gti Brakes

Guest woll

I want to sort my brakes out on my 1.6 as gonna be doing some track days this summer and am not fully confident in them.

I found this topic - http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...\.6+brakes and Graham talks about ATE discs and Bendix pads. Will these just fit straight on to a 1.6? I like what he says coz I'm on a tight budget and cannot afford much. If anyone has an opinion on how to improve braking without breaking the bank, please let me know.

Does anyone know where to get hold of these discs and pads as well? Google searching hasn't come up with much.

Thanks

Anthony

Euro Car Parts sell the ATE powerdisks that Graham mentions. Important to note that they're listed under accessories -> powerdisks and not under braking (no, I don't know why either :angry:)

Worth making sure that your 1.6 calipers are working properly first though, as they suffer badly from worn sliders which, when bad enough, allow the caliper to twist and pull the pads at an angle relative to the disk and braking performance goes badly downhill.

If you're buying new pads anyway, I'd be tempted to pick up a set of 1.9 calipers and use them instead - they're a straight swap for 1.6 calipers and don't suffer from the same wear issues and typically work better. You'll still need 1.6 disks though as that's what hubs you're using.

A set of decent uprated pads (Mintex 1144 and Ferodo DS2500 seem to be the favourite road/track pads) should then be all you need and it should be fine for trackday abuse afterwards :D

richsmells

Exactly as Anthony says, check your calipers aren't too worn out like mine were. I bought new disks and 1144 pads, fitted them, bedded them in but something wasn't right. The pads were really, really noisy and the braking effort wasn't all that.

I've now got girling calipers from a 1.9, which are a straight swap onto the 1.6 hubs, retaining the 1.6 offset disks, but obviously using pads which fit the calipers. The caliper design is much better and the performance is much improved.

Guest woll

Thanks for all yours help.

So is the Girling calliper the one to go for? If I can get them, a pair of ATE powerdiscs, and some Mindex pads, I should see a good improvement, right??

And it should all just 'bolt' onto the 1.6 hub?

Also are the Girling calipers easy to come by?

Thanks again

Anthony
So is the Girling calliper the one to go for? If I can get them, a pair of ATE powerdiscs, and some Mindex pads, I should see a good improvement, right??

And it should all just 'bolt' onto the 1.6 hub?

Also are the Girling calipers easy to come by?

Yes, yes, yes, and yes :angry:

Just to confirm that you need to buy 1.6 GTi brake disks as that's what hubs you're using. 1.6 GTi brake disks and 1.9 calipers will bolt straight onto a 1.6 hub just fine, and will still fit under 14" 1.6 GTi alloys.

The 1.9 Girling calipers were on all 1.9 GTi and 309 GTi modes, plus a few other cars as well (some Citroen ZX's and I believe some Renaults) and hence are fairly cheap and easy to obtain - there's usually some on the For Sale forum and usually go for about £10-20 for a pair.

ATE powerdisks, 1.9 calipers, and decent pads should be a nice budget setup - flush the brake fluid through and use new stuff (preferably DOT5.1 or Super DOT4) and job's a good 'un :D

richsmells

you'll need the bolts from the girling calipers as they're a different length I think. Can't remember :rolleyes:

Anthony
you'll need the bolts from the girling calipers as they're a different length I think. Can't remember :rolleyes:

Yeah you do actually - good point :)

Guest woll

Thanks guys, gonna go ahead with this as soon as I find some calipers.

you'll need the bolts from the girling calipers as they're a different length I think. Can't remember

Just to clarify...are u talking the mounting bolts??

Cheers

richsmells

There are two long bolts on each caliper that bolt it to the hub, but they differ in length between the bendix and girling calipers. You have to remove them to take the caliper off when changing disks.

Search for "1.9 brakes on 1.6" or similar, Jonah has made some good posts regarding this conversion. :rolleyes:

shepherdfte

I suspect the best cheap option when starting with a 'knackered' 1.6 would be to go with 1.9 callipers. However, I can highly recommend new 1.6 callipers as I have on mine (or as I say why not new 1.9 ones!) which are only about £100 exchange (ask if they'll swap 1.6 ones for 1.9 ones!) allied to new TARoX 48 grooved disks (not cheap but worht every penny imho) and 1144 pads. Mine now hauls up with real control and no fade (PS - make sure the rears are well adjusted to avoid excess pedal travel). Oh yeah - and new fluid!

PUGugly

It all depends just how much of a budget your on. My car started off as a 1.6 then onto 1.9 engine and brakes. Now I run 306 gti6 calipers, discs and pads. This set up is much more resistant to brake fade and I can really spank the car without worries about stopping!! This ment swapping the hubs to 1.9 ones but thats not an expensive option if you don't mind looking around. Remember that the 1.6 driveshafts won't fit these hubs but the 309gti shafts will as well as the 1.9 shafts. This gives the added advantage of not destroying your 1.6 shafts that are pretty weak. I did 3 shafts in two months once, nightmare, cost a fotune in tows!! Just so happens I have several spare 1.9 hubs, driveshafts and a variety of calipers 1.9 and gti 6.

Don't forget that a good improvement can be made to the brakes by installing braided lines, really firms up the feel of the middle pedal! Most 205's are of the age that the flexi brake lines are well worn anyway even if they are on their second set!

888rmb

Eurocarparts don't do ATE Powerdiscs for a 1.6 GTI.

Demon Tweeks however list all sorts of uprated discs for a 1.6, have a nose at their catalogue.

Sign in to follow this