• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
wildejon

Coolant Temp

wildejon

Anyone got any ideas whats going on?

From cold the temp gauge is reading a notch higher than cold and today it has started to be apparently getting very hot. I'm not sure it is though, could this be a faulty sensor? If so, where would I find it?

It is also drinking a lot of petrol and revving high (about 2k) for about half a sec on startup (from cold). Doesn't sound too great when it does this either. It didn't used to do this. It also smells of petrol quite a lot, although I'm pretty sure it's not leaking from anywhere.

I don't really know enough about the engine to know where to start, please help if you can!

Jon

simonb

Check for air leaks first especially the pipe under the inlet manifold. also try cleaning the connections of the coolant temp sensor. This is located behind the distributor towards the back of the engine near the bulkhead. there should be a red and yellow connector. It's the red one if I remember correctly, but give them both a clean just to make sure.

If the needle sits high with the ignition off, then it's probably just a stick guage.

An air leak would cause higher revs and would allow petrol vapour to escape if its near the injectors/inlet manifold.

Hope this helps.

Sign in to follow this