• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Zara

Puggy Probs

Zara

1.)There is a starting problem there........despite what people say!!

When you get in the car most of the time she will start fine.......now anyway!! but sometimes it takes ages for it to start....it just keeps turning over!!

2.)Also is it the starter wire or motor??

This one is funny....she used to self imobilise and when you turned the ignition there would be absolutely nothing!! then after a few mins of embarassment she would give up her attitude and start!!

This problem got fixed..........i was told it was the wire.

A couple of weks ago she pissed herself in the petrol station.....as the bonnet was stuck down we had to tow her to 205parts where they sorted things out for me yet again!! (they are stars) on the way down she kept coming off the tow bar (being a bitch) so Ian decided he would drive her with no water in....when he got to the worst junction he kept on stopping and starting the car off the motor!!

Since then the problem has come back!! So is it wire or motor??

3.) the exhaust is still blowing.....i have had the whole exhaust checked over.....it cant blow from anywhere! but the manifold has already had some welding done in the past...could it be that?? i know it would be easier to just change the manifold which is what i will do when i get hold of one!

4.) track rod ends or wishbones????

my front nearside tyre has started wearing an awful lot on the inside.....i was told it was the track rod ends which i know are like £15 and because they are screwed that is why i have this annoying rattle(not a normal pug rattle either)

then i got told that because of the rattle it is more than likely the wishbones?

I have loads more probs with this car but i aint sitting here going through them all....i will still be writing this post next sunday!! :blush::lol::D

please please please help!!!

pugrallye

1) is it a hot starting problem or from cold

2) starter motors have a habit of sticking, and solenoid wire also has a habit of going up the swanny, needs investigating to find out which

3)if exhaust is indeed completely integral then probably a previous welding job on the manifold has blown through, bit hard to diagnose without seeing.

4) tyre wearing on inside could be a number of things, normally worn bushes, could be track rod end or balljoint, would need to whip wheel off and check for play in either

tagy
4.) track rod ends or wishbones????

my front nearside tyre has started wearing an awful lot on the inside.....i was told it was the track rod ends which i know are like £15 and because they are screwed that is why i have this annoying rattle(not a normal pug rattle either)

then i got told that because of the rattle it is more than likely the wishbones?

I worn track rod end, would I suspect lead to wandering and strange steering feeling. The wishbone balljoint normaly makes a clunking sound when it is worn. I think it could be the balljoint, or the hole in the hub gone oval is possible I think.

Zara

thank guys!

the starting prob in general is whenever she feels like it!!

normally it would start fine 1st thing in the morning and then if you got her up to temp...and left her for more than 10mins she wouldnt start!!

i have had just about a whole new fuel system, and changed injectors...which have improved it an awful lot!!!

self imobilising though.....i have fixed it.......it seems to do it when the engine gets really really hot!!

pug309twin40s

1. could be a number of things, check condition of rotorarm, dizzy cap, spark plugs etc

2. could be starter playing up - they are known for playing up. or could be wire or the relay at fault.

3. have alook at exhuast and see if you can see any black sooty areas on joints etc as that will show wheres its blowing or with the engine running look and see if you can see any smoke coming from the exhuast at joints. if manifold had been welded before it could be leaking again

4. could be your tracking - worn ball joints would cause knocking noise on bumps and car would pull to one side,

easier thing would be to jack up the nearside of the car then grab the wheel at opposite sides and wobble it and see if you can spot any movement in ball joint, track rod ends, wishbone etc.

Zara

the car had a full service at the beginning of Jan (which i did myself i might add)

i did the whole lot!!!

im just fed up with it!! i just want things to work when i fix them!!!!

Zara

so any other ideas on these mysteries???? :)

d-9

1. Probably the fuel pump not sealing and causing the system to depressureise.

2. is probably the brown multiplug ontop of the gearbox, probably pissed water over that. Running it with no water in is a f***ing stupid idea thou, surprised the headgasket is still in one piece.

Zara

fuel pump has been changed twice!!

yes i know Ian was f***ing stupid driving her with no water!!

admitidly i did about 600yards to get her home where i knew i could just leave her!!

buts thats different!!! :(

pugrallye

checked dizzy cap for moisture?

d-9

How far did you go with no water? Does it overheat at all now?

Was a tad asleep last night, but:

1. Is usually because the fuel lines depresureise coz a valve goes in the pump, if not it might just be the usual 8v cold issues....'they all do that'

2. Like I said check the brown multiplug on top of the box (under the AFM if ur running standard induction), spray some contact cleaner in. Otherwise it might be the spade on the starter being loose or a dodgy starter, cant really tell without looking at the car.

3. Is it a ticking noise from the exhaust? If so its probably blowing between the manifold and the head. Thou the manifolds are very prone to cracking, and the gasket between the downpipe and the mani can go. Pretty easy to fix if it all comes undone :(

4. Never heard of wishbones rattling, its usually the ARB droplinks or the strut tops, neither would cause wierd tyre wear thou, so the noise might be unrelated to the wear.

Zara

manifold gasket has been done......i drove about 2 mins with no water!!

Ian drove about a mile!! but no she dont overheat anymore!! we solved that problem!!

d-9

Keep an eye on the water levels over the next couple of months, unless the engine was cold, running it without coolant will cause the head gasket to go, or at least partially go so it uses coolant.

and you use far to many exclamation marks!!!

rjw205

The brown multi-plug is nothing but a piece of sh1t. It has caused me problems on previous 205's i've owned. Thinking about it, my 309 didnt cause me any problems.. but i saw fit to sell that as the best mechanically working and electrically sound car i've ever owned (didn't pose a challenge! ha).

What i did on the other cars was... cut all the wires off either side of the multi-plug.. noting which one goes where. slide a small length of 'heat-shrink' over one set of exposed wires. Solder the wires together.. cover over the neatly soldered joint with the heat-shrink, and use a heat source (a lighter) to make it shrink around the soldered joint... making it waterproof.

Another thing it could be with the starting problem.. might be the gearbox earth. There are two earth straps that go down to the earthing point. (I havent got a photo.. but im sure one of the chaps on here has one if you cant find it. Undo the nut (10mm i believe), and degrease both the gearbox contact, and the two contacts on the earthing straps. Then get some fine metal-oxide paper (or scrape with a car key), and throughly remove all traces of crap from it all (nut as well), and re-assemble. This will allieviate another possible cause of the problem.

And finally... take all of the contacts off of the starter motor, and clean up same as above to ensure good contact between points.

Check all wiring to do with starter motor.. make sure the casing isn't split, and / or its not shorting out either with water ingress, or rubbing up against anything else metal.

As for the manifold... The stock ones blow apart and crack for a pasttime. They are peanuts for a second hand one on here.. or if you flutter your eyes at eob.. im sure he'll provide you with one. (lol).

Best of luck with it.. And if Ian complanis about it all.. Tell him to Get F***ed from all of us on here. :angry:

Rich

pug309twin40s

driving that far with no water could have caused some damage? did the car sound like a rattly old f*rd??

my old 309 sri split a hose and lost its coolant and went all rattly , temp was fine and i only drove it about 1/4 mile to get of the road.

anyway after a few weeks it started misfiring then the headgasket went.

id get a compression test done to make sure headgasket is fine

Sign in to follow this