• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Natasha

405 Master Cylinder Problem

Natasha

I have just had a 405 master cylinder fitted to my car - it's a 4 output one but I beleive its an ABS version. Now the front calipers seem to be binding on ( after 10 miles of driving) :blush:

I can only assume that this is the fault of the new master cylinder as things were fine beforehand.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Is there a 'fix' for this problem - or so i have to bite the bullet and buy a new non abs master cylinder?

Does anyone have an aftermarket part number (not pug part number as i dont think they can cross reference them) that i can give to my local factors so I know i get the right one this time.

Thanks

Natasha

littlemike

I read somewhere on here that you have to adjust (shorten) the bar that operates the master cylinder as it's set wrong for a 405 one (it's the little bar that you can see just inside the brake servo opening when the master cyliner's removed).

mi16nut

Where's the Search Button????

See http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...opic=56414&st=0

The problem is the different end float on the rod that goes in the master cylinder. I put my 205 one back on for now; slightly long pedal, but otherwise OK.

I'll attack the locknut on the rod & adjust it at a later date.

Mark.

Foltan

Yes! This happened to me! You need to adjust the servo push rod a little and itll sort it out fine! :blush:

Natasha

Thanks for all the help - this is a job for superman (what I actually mean is my fiance Simon!!) :(

Phil

I fitted my 406 one recently (which I think is the same as the 405 one?) and have had none of these problems, despite doing some very heavy brake testing! Maybe I have done something wrong but I didn't need to adjust anything. (Using GTi-6 calipers BTW)

mi16nut

Phil,

The 406 mc is 23.6 mm, the 405 that I have is 22.2mm. The problems we have encountered is due to the internal measurement & the lack of endfloat for the pushrod. The 405 version is @ 2mm shorter & that seals the system after a few miles, locking the brakes on. I don't know the measurements of the 406 version, so this may not be a problem.

Mark.

Sign in to follow this