• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
smckeown

Degreasing Inside Of Gearbox

smckeown

I'm in the process of cleaning/painting my new box, my question is should I clean up this mess inside the box ?

box_clean.jpg

kate205gti

large flatblade screwdriver, can motorcycle degreaser and newspaper/kitchen roll worked ok for me :D

Jonmurgie

When I cleaned up a 'box I wasn't going to do that but I got carried away and did... libberaly amounts of de-greaser applied with a paint brush (cut the bristles short so they are stronger) and then use a pressure washer... worked a treat for me :D

smckeown

thanks guys, i've got the means to do it, just wanted to know should it be done or not. I've got mild acid :D

Jonmurgie

cool... then do it, do it, do it :D You painting the box afterwards?

smckeown

yeah painting box tomrrow, and engine next weekend IF it's ready

Redtop

The way i done mine was Autoglym alloy wheel cleaner, stubby brush soak thoru for 1/2 hour keep painting it on. Hot pressure water and blast it. Do it 2 or 3 times and it will be like new. Make sure it's well taped up so no water gets in. Blow gun to dry it off after. Job done. I left mine bare and coated it with wd40 regularly to help prevent corrosion.

Cillet bang dilluted with water is supposed to be good as well i was told. Bang! and the dirt is gone. lol

Edited by Redtop

kate205gti

aww but its more fun scraping the gunk off in big peels with a screwdriver :P or is that just me :):P

Miles

Slightly going off topic, But getting a new cross shaft and bearings is worth while. around £35.00 from pug and makes the clucth operation like new again

Super Josh

I would second what Miles said, my clutch is still nice and light after 6K miles. Hammerite smooth seems to last on gearboxes too.

Josh

smckeown

cheers, i'm getting the box reconditioned before the new diff and bearings go in, i'll state those new parts also

petert

Just find a heavily alkaline based degreaser from the local auto parts shop. It's a bit like putting it in the dishwasher. If it doesn't sting your hands it's not strong enough! Look for around 35 g/L. Give it a good scrub (with gloves of course) then wash off.

ablister

why would you want to keep that mess in the gearbox anyway?

Sign in to follow this