• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
TaffyTim

Alloy Oil Sump

TaffyTim

Im buying my 1st Mi16 (YES :D )in a couple of weeks and it comes with an alloy sump.

Ive been reading up on the difference between this and the steele sump and I was just wondering:

Are all alloy sumps the 'finned' type or are htere finned alloy sumps and non-finned alloy sumps?

Am I right in thinking that the fin's are on the outside of the sump and will be noticable if I pop my head under the car?

Thanks

Ryan

AFAIK all the alloy sumps are finned. I think it's to improve strength as well as provide extra cooling.

The fins are easily visible from below:

dsc006370su.th.jpg

TaffyTim

ta, thats roughly what i thought they would look like, nice to see a pic to confirm it.

eddie_1.9

My s16 block has a alloy sump without fins. It's got Air con but i don't know if that makes a difference. Obviously it will have the mountin lugs for the compressor but u dont have to use em.

Jonmurgie

Do you know what car the Mi has come from? I believe that all alloy finned sumps are from the 405 and all tin smooth sumps are from the BX incase you didn't know :D

jackherer
Do you know what car the Mi has come from? I believe that all alloy finned sumps are from the 405 and all tin smooth sumps are from the BX incase you didn't know :D

I've got alloy sumps out of a few BXs...

TaffyTim

No I dont know what car it came from and from what you've just said that answers my question. Not all alloy sumps are finned.

From what I've read on this site I understand that the fins dont make much of a difference with the cooling of the oil (on a track day), its more the material that the sump is made from that conducts the heat away from the oil.

huxley309

True but the steel sump are much easier for fitting a baffle into

Super Josh
My s16 block has a alloy sump without fins. It's got Air con but i don't know if that makes a difference. Obviously it will have the mountin lugs for the compressor but u dont have to use em.

The Aircon shouldn't make any difference, as your engine is an XU10. The Aircon compressor is mounted on the block and not on the sump, like the XU9 lumps, which is why they have the Ally sump.

Josh

TaffyTim
True but the steel sump are much easier for fitting a baffle into

True, but Im not going to bother with a baffled sump (for now).

From what i understand from my readings, the oil starvation occours due to the oil not getting back to the sump quick enough and not because the sump is baffleless. There seem to be a few people stating that they still get oil starvation even with baffles in their sump.

From what ive read it seems the steel sump can result in really hot oil on trackdays. Hopefully with an alloy sump and a water cooled oil cooler my oil will be ok :D

huxley309

Ive got an oil/water cooler but also have a second fan rigged up should i need it :D

TaffyTim
Ive got an oil/water cooler but also have a second fan rigged up should i need it :D

Nice, Do you find that its needed much. Do i take it that you just have it for precaution in the summer months?

Ahl

Some extra oil and sump baffles will go a long way to helping the oil starvation issues, retentive head or not.

I'd be a lot more worried about this on a trackday rather than the oil heating up slightly more due to the sump material.

TaffyTim
Some extra oil and sump baffles will go a long way to helping the oil starvation issues, retentive head or not.

I'd be a lot more worried about this on a trackday rather than the oil heating up slightly more due to the sump material.

Oh that is suprising. I have no experience at all so I respect all opinions.

People are doing trackdays without baffles though arent they?

huxley309

Well mi's are funny things...i know ones like my old one that you can rag all the time and dont get problems with oil surge whatsoever and some sufffer really badly

As for the fan its mainly as a precaution...i havent wired it into this 309 yet as ive only just got her running but its in there should i need it....only when im stationary in scortching summer months did i ever need it :D

Edited by huxley309

KRISKARRERA

Aircon compressor is mounted on sump on xu10s as well.

Super Josh
Aircon compressor is mounted on sump on xu10s as well.

Is that only on the XU10J4s then Kris? As my old XU10J2TE 2.0 Turbo had it mounted on the block.

Josh

petert

The reality is that it doesn't matter whether you have steel, alloy finned or alloy non-finned. If you can get it hot enough you need to do something about it. Whether its fitting a 13 row cooler, or upgrading from a 13 to a 25 row, the point is your the guy with your foot on the throttle watching the oil temp guage. Do something about it before you cook it.

TaffyTim

Ok this thread has been satisfied. It really was supposed to be 2 quick questions on sumps. Thanks all for the reply's. I must stop wandering off topic :)

Sign in to follow this