• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jack biscuit

Liner O Rings

jack biscuit

afternoon everyone.. ready for the nights entertainments?!

Anyway regarding the liner seals (rubber and paper?) where can i get hold of them? I'm assuming that you still can, is Peugeot the only option?

Any nuggets welcome!

thank you

matty_gti

hi, yeah i bought some a few weeks ago from peugeot because i tried a few places and they didnt even know what they were. I orderd them and they arrived the next day which was cool. And they only cost around £1.50 each.

jack biscuit

Thanks for the info mate, i'm guessing that's the rubber O rings? ah the paper seals won't be much i'm sure!

matty_gti

yeah thats for the rubber o-rings. not sure about paper ones.

Jonmurgie

Never heard of paper ones, and I'm sure there's a reason for that!!

jack biscuit
Never heard of paper ones, and I'm sure there's a reason for that!!

Well then i hope that they don't exist then as to my mind i thought it was a truly doggo idea, i was led to believe that the rubber o's do the sealing and the paper to set deck height. If that's a big pile of bollocks, then believe me i'm happy as larry about it!

just rubber seals for me!

pug_ham

Paper ones were only used very early on, if you buy new ones you'll only get rubber ones.

AFAIK you can get liner seals from 205parts.com.

Graham.

jack biscuit
Paper ones were only used very early on, if you buy new ones you'll only get rubber ones.

AFAIK you can get liner seals from 205parts.com.

Graham.

thank you once again graham, i had a feeling the paper things would be on earlier lumps.. there to sort out manufacturing tolerances.. But how early? both my lumps are from around 1991/1992 but both fitted with the early spring loaded cam belt tensioner..

If my engines have markings on the top of the liners, i should expect to use paper.. but otherwise, it's rubber and nothing to worry about regarding the liner's deck height?

Anyway, cheers chief.. very much appreciated

JB

pug_ham

Earlier than that, I've stripped a couple of pre 1988 blocks & they both had rubber liner seals.

Liner deck height is set without the seals(paper or rubber) fitted under the liners.

Graham.

jack biscuit

Thanks Graham, it is a wise man indeed who observes the teachings of the late Bill Hicks.

Respect, my friend.

PS picked up my liner seals from West Midlands Motorsport in Kidderminster today, i couldn't wait for postage and such.

BTW they cost me five pounds. Regal in bromsgrove wanted £14 i believe, or at least i think.. i sort of fainted at the time..

Edited by jack biscuit

Miles

The paper ones where fitted upto around 1985 on all the various XU engines

jack biscuit

Thanks Miles, information stored in my memory bank..

mickie

ive been to the dealer and they said they would come to about £16 for 4 o rings..

the other only site i found them on was autofive and they want £3.65 for 1.. a tad expensive..

205turbo

we do them for £1.50 each

mickie

could you please send me 4 :)

PumaRacing

Going by your other piston ring thread you're rebuilding a bottom end. You do realise the liner seals are included in the bottom end gasket set that you're going to need to buy anyway.

mickie

ive rebuilt my cylinder head and most of the block bar a few things like seals i dont think i need.. ive got the sump gasket and con rod bearings.. but i need the liner o rings to stick the cylinder head back on the block..

what do you think ? all i wanted to do is fix the head gasket :)

Edited by mickie

pug_ham

The liner o-rings fit underneath the liners on the inside of the bock, not against the head.

If you've rebuilt the bottom end & refitted the sump without them the sump & big end caps need to come off again to push the liners out with pistons inside to fit them.

Graham.

mickie

i havent re-built the bottom end, because like you say i need to stick my pistons back in the liners and i cant put the liners back in wthout them o rings.. so the sump, liners and pistongs are just sitting there at the mo.. im going to get the bottom end gasket kit now tho and hopefully you get the liner o rings in with that

Sign in to follow this