• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Quakes

Throttle Position Sensor Problems

Guest Quakes

Hello,

I have had a problem of not being able to put my foot down since replacing the engine last month yesturday my power came back when i got home i looked under the bonnet to find the throttle position sensor has fallen off.

i plugged it back in and again only had half an accelorator so ive left it unplugged now

by half an accelorator i mean if i put my foot down more then half way it just misfires with a burring sort of noise

also it feels like i hit the limiter at 5750revs its ok up to it then it sounds like its limiting tho the revs still rise :S

any help would be awesome :lol: ive searched the forum but cant find the same problem

cheers guys Jono

Jonmurgie

So it drives OK without the TPS? Do you have a new one to try?

Adam B

Thats wierd.. has the TPS position changed at all? Is it the same TPS you had on the last engine?

pug_ham

The TPS on the 8v & 16v is just a simple open & closed switch(closed at idle & WOT, open between the two), it doesn't have any reading underpart throttle.

I've known of them to fail internally at idle & make it stall all the time so maybe your's has died at the WOT position & this is causing the problems.

There is a simple test for the switch in Haynes using a multimeter across the pins. There are only three pins & on pins 1 & 2 at idle there should be no resistance, same between 2 & 3 at WOT. Anywhere inbetween these two points should give infinity.

Graham.

Guest Quakes

It drives ok as in it drives idles fine (idles better then any 205 ive seen :/ ) wont idle at cold but i think my sad is broken but at full throttle it feels gutless as in it accelarates but not with any urgancy.

The TPS hasnt changed it stayed on the inlet manifold as i took it off the old engine then went on the new one wouldnt of been banged or anything.

My new thought is as the TPS adds more fuel at full throttle maybe its not the TPS its just the fact that the ignition components or AFM or fuel pump cant handle the extra power as it misfires quite a bit anyway.

The coil has been changed and the the dizzy caps is getting done tommorow whilst the engine mounts are being sorted (no rubber left on the rear mount :D ) anyways just really confused at the moment i will test the switch tommorow if i have time. Will the 1.6 TPS be the same? and does anyone have a 1.9 AFM and fuel pump as peugeot want about 400quid for the 2.

Cheers guys Jono

pug_ham

1.6 TPS is the same as 1.9.

Try a wanted ad for the other bits, someone will have them.

Graham.

Sign in to follow this