• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
hengti

82deg Stat

hengti

I have done a search and have taken the general concensus to be that an 82deg stat will help an engine run cooler than the std 89deg stat

however ...

I'm still not sure how this can work. I'd have thought that it wouldn't affect the ultimate running temp (reached once either stat has fully opened), only the amount of time it takes the engine to reach that temp - ?

can anyone who's fitted an 82 stat confirm that this is the case, or offer a technical explanation as to how it works if it does actually lower running temps

thanks

Robsbc
I have done a search and have taken the general concensus to be that an 82deg stat will help an engine run cooler than the std 89deg stat

however ...

I'm still not sure how this can work. I'd have thought that it wouldn't affect the ultimate running temp (reached once either stat has fully opened), only the amount of time it takes the engine to reach that temp - ?

can anyone who's fitted an 82 stat confirm that this is the case, or offer a technical explanation as to how it works if it does actually lower running temps

thanks

do one better and order a 72 degree stat off Skip Brown Cars wil lcost u £12...have one on my Mi16. My emerald ECU show's water temp to be around 70 ish degrees.

pug_ham

Yes it does, I fitted one to mine recently & it now sits on the lower side of the fourth bar on the temp gauge to what it did when an 89'c was fitted.

Full thermostat kit (with seals) was £7ish from a local motor factors.

Graham.

hengti

82 fitted

now running a little cooler - just below fourth bar, instead of just above it

still keeps rising in traffic though ...

happy enough all the same

cheers for the assurance

Gavtrials

that skip brown 72 degree stat sounds intresting but wouldn't this be a little cold for the engine or wont it make a difference?

Allso what about the 82 degree stat, what car is that from?

Henry Yorke

I would agree with your first thoughts as once it is open then that would be it. To run cooler, you would need a diesel fan switch in the rad so the fans kick in earlier.

If it has made a difference, perhaps your old themostat was on its way out. I put my old one in a pan of water and boiled it just to see how far it opened!!

C_W

however ...

thanks

The thermostat regulates the operating tempurate only when the radiator is being cooled properly so in traffic any thermostat won't make any difference as any of them will be fully open after a while so just relies on the cooling fan to try to reduce temps. What a lower temp stat may do is extetnd slightly the time it takes to "over" heat. They all run hot in traffic though and its normal for fans to cut in.

I run a 72/75 degree thermostat in mine from SBC, not sure if it's "better" than and 82 or an 89 though but it seems to run ok.

Sign in to follow this