• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jonD6B

Engine Not Happy!

jonD6B

Whilst taking my 1.9 205 for it's MOT the guy came through and asked me if my car suffers from overheating as it was to which I replied "No" as I had sorted this issue good and proper. On the way home from the test station it developed a minor misfire. I took it out later for only it's second good run in the 9 months I've owned it (it has ran frequently between though) and the misfire was really bad, almost violent in every gear and at varying revs. I pulled up at a friends and noticed that at idle I only had 0.2-0.4 bar of oil pressure which increased when revved. Anyone got any ideas? Cheers.

easypug

I would hazzard a guess at the ignition amp, the oil pressure wouldn't make it miss. Have you just noticed the oil pressure or was it always like that and this has brought you attention to it?

Pugnut
Whilst taking my 1.9 205 for it's MOT the guy came through and asked me if my car suffers from overheating as it was to which I replied "No" as I had sorted this issue good and proper. On the way home from the test station it developed a minor misfire. I took it out later for only it's second good run in the 9 months I've owned it (it has ran frequently between though) and the misfire was really bad, almost violent in every gear and at varying revs. I pulled up at a friends and noticed that at idle I only had 0.2-0.4 bar of oil pressure which increased when revved. Anyone got any ideas? Cheers.

what have you checked so far under bonnet? have you checked to see if there is any oil in it ??

have you checked you're ingition leads and any connectors etc?

steve@cornwall

Sounds a bit like my 1.6, which went rapidly downhill (hardly went up though) . changed everything I could think of and then saw a low mileage 1.9 engine for sale. Took the 1.6 out this week and stripped the head off today, signs of head gasket weeping between cyls 2 & 3. Maybe worth a compression test (like I didn't) before shelling out on lots of smaller items! Hope yours isn't this!!!!!!!

jonD6B
what have you checked so far under bonnet? have you checked to see if there is any oil in it ??

have you checked you're ingition leads and any connectors etc?

The dipstick is exactly between the marks and the oil pressure normally sits at around 3-4 bar. The ignition system is brand new. The engine has been professionally set up including a compression test and has only covered 20 miles since. Haven't had a chance to check under the bonnet yet. It's funny how it has run as sweet as a nut until it was driven out of the MOT station that couldn't find anything to fail it on, perhaps I'm being sceptical but is there anything that could be unplugged to cause this type of fault?

Edited by jonD6B

hengti

surely electrical! - ?

i'd start by checking the plugs/leads&connections/dizzy/etc

... why did the MoT tester ask you about o'heating? ...

jonD6B
surely electrical! - ?

i'd start by checking the plugs/leads&connections/dizzy/etc

... why did the MoT tester ask you about o'heating? ...

The reason he asked was that steam was blowing out of the expansion bottle overflow pipe. When I bought the car it constantly overheated so I changed the stat. back flushed the system, changed the water and antifreeze with top stuff, added water wetter and fitted an accurate temp. gauge and everything has been spot on since with water temp. rising to no more than 80 degrees at any time even with hard driving. My biggest concern is the lack of oil pressure and I can't see where the two problems are related?

Edited by jonD6B

jonD6B

OK now I'm confused. I came out to the car this morning and it wouldn't even start so I checked under the bonnet to find that the earth wire from the strut had come off and also the breather from the bottom of the inlet manifold to the throttle body had also come off. On replacing these the car started fine so I assumed that I'd sorted it but half way down the road it started kangarooing especially when only just pressing the throttle. I parked up and when I came back to it it wouldn't restart so I opened the bonnet and everything was still attached but it restarted next attempt fine. This has happened twice since. Oil pressure is still very low a idle but fine whilst driving but the engine bay seems to be slowly getting covered in oil. Could a blocked breather cause this kind of misfire and low pressure at idle? The dipstick is also being forced out. Also water temp. is higher than usual. Any ideas??? :D

jonD6B

Anyone???

mfield

Sound like a bad earth, undo and re-tighten the nut ontop of the gearbox near the filler. I had this once and the oil/water temps were all over the place and it would make the car have intermitting starting issues.

Although an air leak at the bottom of the inlet manifold would make it hard to start and cough and splutter like a an 80 a day smoker. The pipe you mentioned sounds like the one that should go to the S.A.D not the throttle body ?

A blocked breather would cause a high oil pressure reading and wold soon squirt oil out the dipstick followed by seals.

It cold also be the dreaded brown multiplug, do a search on that tho because there's so much info already been said im bound to miss something .

Ignition amp causes miss firing but doubt it would affect the oil pressure as would a split pipe spraying water onto the dizzy ( trust me on that one :blush: )

And worse case is that you've blown the head gasket which would also cause poor starting and missfire's.

I'd also check the connection to the AFM as that would create the symtoms above, bar the oil and water temp.

Hope that gives you some ideas B)

maturin23

It's very very difficult to diagnose this kind of fault via the internet! My mistake is generally assuming a solution and attempting to prove it, rather than just taking a common sense and methodical diagnostic approach

For starters I'd strip, clean and refit the induction and oil breather setup. I'd also disconnect and reconnect the ignition amp, afm and sensor plugs.

If you're worried about a hg problem then get the compression tested again.

Could be more than one problem here.

jonD6B

OK thanks for the advice. Now to ask a dumb question. Where abouts is the ignition amp? The only thing in the engine bay that looks different to prior to taking it for it's MOT is that there is a black plastic rectangular box by the rad which has two fuses in it and it looks like the cap has been taken off and put back on incorrectly. What is this for? It has a single large wire going to it also. Also I've vcleaned the breathers around the filler and intake but how do you clean the main one coming out of the block beneath the oil filter?

Edited by jonD6B

Sign in to follow this