• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Danxs

309, Hesitant?

Danxs

i've just bought my 309 gti, and it seems hesitant through the gears, and, to be fair, it feels sluggish compared to my 106, is this normal or does it need a tune up?

any advice would be great! thanks.

Jonmurgie

First of all you have an XU engine so that's the right section (a mod may move this for you).

With regard to the hesitant issue I'd say give it a good service paying special attention to replacing all the ignition components and this can be a cause.

What kind of age/mileage is the engine? Do you have any service history with the car?

Danxs

just noticed i posted it in the tu section, sorry! i'm new :blush:

its 1991 with 88,000 on it, i have some history, its recently been serviced by skip browns, he said, it has a new alternator and battery, and he said they changed the timing belt and tensioners, and also had a RR tune, so it should be running right?! i will try plugs and leads...

Eryl1.9Gti

So what happned to the 106 then?

RR at gresford kill it??????

Danxs

no, a nissan navara did :wacko:

pic

pic

(edit: pics too big, see posting guidelines)

Edited by jackherer

huxley309

As said start with plugs leads/dizzy etc

New batteryy and alternator eh hmmm...when shes on idle put a multitester on the battery terminals...if it's not close to 14v after blipping the throttle a bit it could be the voltage regulator on the alternator on it's way

You could also try the ignition amplifier, usually bolted on your suspension mounts

Danxs

thanks hux! i might come down and see you in about a month, got to bring av back down so i could drop in and you could pass judgement on the old girl!

d-9

Try changing the plugs/leads/cap/arm, improved my old 309 massivly.

Other than that, its possible the 309 just isnt as quick as your 106, in which case its time for an mi16 :ph34r:

KRISKARRERA

It ought to be though. What did it get on the dyno?

pug_ham

What fuel are you running it on & what was your 106?

It should only be run on SUL (or optimax/ BP ultimate 97ron minimum).

Having recently been serviced at SBC I doubt it'll be tuned to run on UL but if it is then it will be down on power & feel sluggish/ hesitant.

If you've swapped to the 309 GTi from a 106 GTi it will feel slower, because it is.

Other than that check the items suggested above.

Graham.

Sign in to follow this