• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Kenno

Can 1.9 Afm Be Used On 1.6 Gti

Kenno

Hiya, well yesterday I had a massive bang from front end first thing n it was the back plate off the AFM.

Well cleaned it up n used some liquid metal n screws to put it back together n it was backfiring like a piglet.

So have taken the 309 1.9 AFM n adjusted the dial to same setting as the 1.6 will this work ok as it seems fine am just gonna take it out for little spin.

Any advice please

Much regards

Kev

Me bad soss i did a seach n found a few helpful bits thanks but any input would be great. now im off for spin I HOPE

Edited by SR i Kenno

j_turnell

The mixture will be totally wrong, youll need to find another 1.6 one.

simonb

The 1.6 AFM has less tension on the spring than the 1.9 as the 1.9 breathes heavier due to the extra capacity. I would set it roughly correct and then set the CO at idle to about 1.5%.

After that, make sure that the car idles smoothly (if that's possible) and check the colour of the plugs after a decent run (should be a light brown tan). It will be obvious if the AFM is set wrong as your fuel consumption will eithefr be up or down, or the car will either feel bogged down at low revs (spring too loose) or will seem gutless at higher rpm (spring too tight).

If you can't get a decent 1.6 AFM, this is the only advise I can offer. Hope this helps.

j_turnell

Try doing a wanted post for one 1.6 afms are ten a penny. Using a 1.9 afm really wont do you any favours.

1 FAT PUG

i got a 1.6 gti one, can have it for £20 delivered

kevcomdude

Im running a 1.9 AFM on my Phase 1 1.6 engine, it runs fine but did need the mixture screw adjusted to get it to idle properly.

Ahl
Im running a 1.9 AFM on my Phase 1 1.6 engine, it runs fine but did need the mixture screw adjusted to get it to idle properly.

It won't be supplying the correct amount of fuel throughout the rest of the rev range too.

The engine management on these engines is fairly clockwork and the AFM itself effectively contains the fuel map, therefore using the wrong AFM is a bad idea and just asking for trouble.

kevcomdude
It won't be supplying the correct amount of fuel throughout the rest of the rev range too.

The engine management on these engines is fairly clockwork and the AFM itself effectively contains the fuel map, therefore using the wrong AFM is a bad idea and just asking for trouble.

After reading this does anyone have a working 1.6 AFM they wish to swap for a working 1.9 AFM. I will do the driving if nearby.

thanks Kev

Sign in to follow this