• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
matt205xs

My Bike Carbs Have Arrived!

matt205xs

just got my R1 bike carbs for the conversion, they came off a 2000 Yam R1 which had done 20000 mile!

manifold is being made as we speak, now if anyone has done this conversion i need to know about the throttle and how its modified to work on a car???

anyone any suggestions??

cheers

matt

Dream Weaver

Mine are TB's, and I just attached the std throttle cable to the end of the bodies.

This isn't great though as I only have about 1" of throttle travel - superb throttle response, but hard work :D

I'll be looking at progressive throttle links soon.

matt205xs

how would you make it progressive?

Pugnut
how would you make it progressive?

put a longer lever arm on.

matt205xs

would a weber one fit?

Dream Weaver

Or you can actually by progressive linkages with a cam like design on them.

I took it out for the first proper run tonight and its not actually that bad, just a little hard work at junctions etc.

Guest shaun

ive got r1 carbs on my laser green mi16, all i did was make a plate to go on one of the cam cover bolts and used a noodle off a v brake from a mountain bike! same with that though ive only got about 2 inch of throttle travel, i dunno what its like though as im yet to drive it? im sure its very interesting in traffic!!

matt205xs

you know were you can buy the progessive link from???

Rippthrough
you know were you can buy the progessive link from???

Mecano kit :D

Guest duncan

Surely you just need a thick bit of alloy +5mm. Cut a circle out with a normal hole cutter.

Mount using a bolt in a drill and then using a triangular file put a deep groove in the rim by spinning the disk and holding the file steady.

Drill a hole near the rim and file it out to the edge. This will take the nipple on the throttle cable.

Drill another hole off centre and mount on the existing spindle giving the variable throttle.

Havent worked out the size of disc yet to give good throttle travel but looking at my xs carb will give me a good idea of a start point.

Well this is what Im planning on doing on my R6 carbs so I would welcome comment

davev

to be honest i wouldnt bother. cuz i got r1s on, and just got used to it. its a bit stif and made me rev it abit sometimes at junctions bit i dont notice it any more.

my only problem is i gotta adjust the pedal position as it hits the stop halfway down like a brake pedal.

l337dave

What fuel pump / regulators has anyone got fitted with these..?

(I have a cunning plan for the throttle travel issue - don't know if it will work it's only at the 'in head stage' at the mo...)

I'm looking at this from the other way round:

I am thinking of making a new pivot further up on the acc pedal so instead of the pedal looking like this

----|

|

|

|

o

|

|

\

it will look like this:

----|

|

o

|

|

|

|

\

so same throttle will result in less travel on the cable, don't how this will work in practice but it makes sense in theory...

:D

dave

Rippthrough
so same throttle will result in less travel on the cable, don't how this will work in practice but it makes sense in theory...

dave

WHy not just extend the linkage on the carb side? Much easier.

l337dave
WHy not just extend the linkage on the carb side? Much easier.

it prolly make more sense to do it that way - I just can't picture it in my head that's all...

hmmm, might go in the garage an have a look at the carbs again...

dave.

davev

without going to the car(its dark now and im scared :D ). i think i got a facet silver top fuel pump and an adjustable pressure reg think pressure king ring a bell but could be wrong. i think its set to about 2-3 psi.

dave.

Dream Weaver

Std fuel pump, std regulator. :P

Dont know why people bother with bike carbs, when bodies are the same price :)

davev

i think i got an o.k reason(well it works for me) :)

when i got the car it already had 48s on and 8valve wiring, and cuz i wanted rid of them being so big, i went for bike carbs. i didnt check but i assume boddies would have meant me messing with the wiring system. and i couldnt be bothered

l337dave
Std fuel pump, std regulator. :lol:

Dont know why people bother with bike carbs, when bodies are the same price :blush:

hmm, might be because you can pick them up for £50 and pretty much just bolt them on 'cept for the fuel reg and inital jetting... :D

well that's what I'm hoping anyway :P

how much did it cost you all in to have the bodies running..?

dave.

smckeown

surely carbs are cheaper because you dont need an ECU

Dream Weaver

Yeah suppose so, forgot about the ECU part :blush:

Guest smokinslim
Havent worked out the size of disc yet to give good throttle travel but looking at my xs carb will give me a good idea of a start point.

Why not 'borrow' the linkage from an old XS carb or the like?...

l337dave
Why not 'borrow' the linkage from an old XS carb or the like?...

ooh, now there's an idea! - guess who's off down the scrapyard on friday :lol:

Dream Weaver
hmm, might be because you can pick them up for £50 and pretty much just bolt them on 'cept for the fuel reg and inital jetting... :lol:

well that's what I'm hoping anyway ;)

how much did it cost you all in to have the bodies running..?

dave.

Forgot to answer this.

Bodies, silicon couplers, manifold, ITG filter, injectors, and bits and bats came to £400 though that included brand new ITG filter, coil pack, uprated injectors, trumpets, fuel hose, oil hose (relocate filler), air temp sensor and other ECU bits.

ECU was approx £850 all in.

Sign in to follow this