• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
huxley309

Driveshaft Removal

huxley309

Ok ive done all the necessary bits like the bolts where the intermediate bearing resides but for the love of god i still can't remove the thing despite beating the crap out of it with a chisel and lumphammer!!

Can anyone help me out here otherwise im bringing the grinder out!! :P

danpug

One of mine ended up doing this, in the end we gave up and removed the lower engine mount casing instead and replaced it with another one we had.

huxley309

Yeah true i have been told the engine will justt about come out with the shaft in place hmm

I'll think about it for now whilst the overalls are in the dryer then attack it again later on :P

danpug

Just unbolt it whilst the engines in the car, providing its supported that is! It'll be easier to try and remove the shaft when the mount is off the engine. Nice weather to work on the car btw!

huxley309

Yeah tell me about it it's doing my nut in!!!

4 more days of this s*itty weather at least!! :P

Well i know the bolts on the mount are also a pain hmm but theres what 4 of them...yeah i'll probably do this when it's dryer

Supported lol you should see the crane a mate's lent me it's stupid!!! :D

On a plus point ive removed the lower mount fork already anyway :D

Edited by huxley309

Jonmurgie

You say you've 'done' the 2 bolts on the intermediate bearing... have you removed them compleltey or just rotated them?

The first time I tried to remve that drive shaft I had no end of problems with the bolts and ended up doing what others suggested, removed the engine mount from the back of the engine! However, once you've see how the bolts work it was easier the second time around.

j_turnell

Really not neccessary to remove the engine mount it should come out. With the intermediate bearing bolts make sure they are turned so the hooks are facing outwards and the nuts are removed completely, it can be a bit difficult to see the one nearest the block but it should be visable. If these are facing outwards then a hammer and chisel will knock it out np. If not, your not hitting it hard enough :D

pacey205

Thats normally true but when I took the Mi out of the BX the drivers side driveshaft was welded into the bearing and nothing would shift it. Even with me hammering the s*it out of it on the floor it wouldnt come out until I heated the s*ite out of it first.

Having said that Ive never had any problems with the ones on the GTI apart from the fiddly little bolts.

Michael

Kitsune

Dont wanna start another thread about driveshafts so just gunna jump on this one (sorry Hux!).

Only a quick one, but can you use driveshafts fitted to a BE1 box, on a BE3 box?

huxley309

Yes

Kitsune

Lovely, cheers Hux.

huxley309

No problem...in the end i ground the bugger off...it wasn't having any of it!!

pug_ham
You say you've 'done' the 2 bolts on the intermediate bearing... have you removed them compleltey or just rotated them?
I don't think they can completely come out with the driveshaft fitted as the inner joint stops them.

Not another moment like trying to remove the gearbox was it Daz? ;)

Graham.

huxley309

Lmao cheeky fecker no it wasnt!!

I took the driveshaft out of the old 309 which smacked out very nicely...this on the other hand was a bleeding nighmare

I was using a 1ft chisel and lumphammer ffs!! ;):P

Sign in to follow this