• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Chris205GTi

Replacing Standard Rear Shocks With Bilstein Streetline One

Chris205GTi

One of my rear shocks has gone so I'm going to replace both. Looking on autofive I notice that they sell Rear Bilstein Gas damper Streetline individually, and their slightly cheaper then the standard shocks.

Would be any gains from fitting these, or would I just kill the whole setup / handling of the car? (as the rest of the car (front) is standard)

mi16nut

They are rubbish. Much better to stay with standard. Put a wanted ad up on here, or but a single standard new one.

Jonmurgie

I was under the impression that the Bilstein Streetline's were about the same as standard suspension... try a search as it's been covered before, but I would say it won't effect the handelling noticabley ;)

Chris205GTi

Reading though posts from search results it seems the more posts I go through the more people think it's best best is to stick with OE as the general consensus seems to be that the streetline rear shocks are a bit, well, naff.

Thanks

Ahl

Yeah, those Bilstein shocks are meant to be be OE replacements, but they are much softer than standard shocks for some reason.

pug_ham
Put a wanted ad up on here, or but a single standard new one.
You should always replace shocks in pairs btw.
Yeah, those Bilstein shocks are meant to be be OE replacements, but they are much softer than standard shocks for some reason.
I wonder if they are mean't to be oe replacements for base model & not GTi shocks? I've just fitted some oe GTi one's on the back of my STDT (Thanks Anthony) now that the beamis all GTi spec the difference between the standard shocks that were fitted & these is noticable. Much better now. ;)

Graham.

Simes

From my own experience I found the rear streetline shocks to be s*it, very soft and nigh on dangerous.

jackherer
I wonder if they are mean't to be oe replacements for base model & not GTi shocks?

I thought that a while ago when someone asked me to look at their pug cos it handled awfully. The rear shocks were Bilstein streetline and they had a sticker that said 'BNE-1931' which I have had confirmed as for the 1.9 205 GTI.

http://www.eurocarparts.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4391

maturin23

I'm running streetline rear shocks and I'd go as far to say that they've ruined the handling of the car.

jackherer

I've probably got a standard pair you can have if you want?

Pugnut

the streetline rears are a bit soft but i thought they werent too bad on the handling side of things, but yeh definately lacked a bit of damping!

the fronts are a good oe replacement imo.

Paintguy

I put some OE replacement Bilstein dampers on my 309 beam, and I've found them pretty good. Stiff enough to control the rear end, but not so stiff that they rattle out my teeth.

Miles

Don;t do it, Get the OE ones if your going that route, People forget how good they are when new

tagy

The front standard bilsteins are good imo, would recomend them. Never tried the rears and I wouldn't from the reaction they get.

Chris205GTi
I've probably got a standard pair you can have if you want?

Yeah, Definitely interested. I've PM'ed you.

Guest lenthepug

I am running billie rear shocks and dont have any probs.

Sign in to follow this