• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
matty_gti

Mayo In Oil Filler?

matty_gti

When i run my gti around i get all this water sitting at the top of the oil filler in the mesh at the top, and if i leave it long enuff it turns into mayo and clogs all the pipes up. :D

Are there any ways i can prevent this?

Adnic69

It is caused by condensation that builds up in the pipes on the short runs that cars do.

To get over it you need to re route the breather system, someone on here has done it.

Hope that helps.

simonb

Perfectly normal for this time of year. Just make sure it's not excessive amounts as this could indicate a more serious issue such as a head gasket on its way. I always have problems when it comes to an oil change after winter as the oil feed pipe is often clogged with the stuff which makes filling up with oil a painful process.

Overall, the breather system on the XU is crap. I don't understand why you cant fill the engine with oil from the top of the head like any other car.

Edited by simonb

shepherdfte

As I understood it, most folk remove that mesh. Certainly I did, and it seemed to help reduce the mayo build up. I wouldn't worry about the mayo unless it's forming in just a few trips.

Bonzai

i read about removing the mesh before but i havent got the bollocks to do it! it does certainly seem to hold a lot of moisture tho, which never takes long to turn into mayo.

aklso a catch tank seems a worth whiole investment. the other week i cleaned all my breathers out. the pipe that goes from the filler cap to the induction pipe between the TB and AFM was full of gunk, so i stripped it down further and found a puddle of mayo sitting in the induction pipe right infront of the TB. I'd say its a very worthwhile hour spent cleaning these pipes out every now and then

matty_gti

Thanks for all your help.

When the car is at operating temperature, if i take of the top of the oil fiiler the amount of steam coming out is alot, its like a kettle. But it cant be the head gasket as this was done the other week.

what help would removing the mesh do?, and could i stick a proper performance breather somwhere so the steam can escape?

Jonmurgie

Are you sure it's steam and not oil vapour? You could run a catch tank system though you would then have to empty it lots by the sounds of things... the standard breather system does work well and as others have said the 'mayo in mesh' is quite normal on the 205. So to be honest I'd say clean the mesh and the breather pipes out, refit and forget ;)

matty_gti

well it looks like steam, but it is prob the oil heating up, but when it settles it turns into water which sits at the top of the filler?????. ;)

Banjo

I'd suggest you take your car for a good hard run then take the filler off and see whats coming out.. ;)

Gota get the oil hot so best get your fave driving music on B)

Ben

hengti

I've had my HG done recently as well and am getting loads of mayo; I've removed the mesh in the filler cap, but it doesn't seem to have helped

Considered opinion on here seems to be that this is normal for these cars during this weather - it should ;) clear come summer...

I wouldn't worry about it - check it out again in summer

Dino

Ive just checked my oil, went to fill up and was confronted with this: ;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/dino355/DSC01720.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/dino355/DSC01722.jpg

I've never had mayo like this before either on my Mi16 or the 8v engine before it. The car HAS however been doing quite a few short journeys the last month or so as opposed to the decent runs it used to get in the past.

However, I have noticed that it needed a top up of coolant too so should I be worried?

Ahl

I wouldn't worry Dino, thats nothing compared to the amount of Mayo i've seen before. ;)

simonb

That amount of mayo looks about as much as any other 205 I have seen, however I would keep an eye on the coolant situation and what ever you do, do not just top it up with water alone.

Bonzai

mine is about 5 times worse than dino's, and i only cleaned my breathers out on march 4th!

paul205mi16

does look worrying though and can see what people are thinking!

simonb

This is exactly the reason why I think that the pug breather system is crap. It makes no sense why they mounted the oil filler remotely, and lets face it, the filler hose is always perishing due to the amount of heat it has to constantly put up with.

I would have thought it would have been better to place a filler outlet directly on the cam cover like most cars and simply route the crankcase breather directly back to the sump as this provides a more direct route and is less likely to encourange a build up of mayo in the inlet system.

I often wonder how much of the stuff finds its way into the inlet manifold on these cars, but you can't easily see so there's no real way of telling.

hengti
This is exactly the reason why I think that the pug breather system is crap. It makes no sense why they mounted the oil filler remotely, and lets face it, the filler hose is always perishing due to the amount of heat it has to constantly put up with.

I would have thought it would have been better to place a filler outlet directly on the cam cover like most cars and simply route the crankcase breather directly back to the sump as this provides a more direct route and is less likely to encourange a build up of mayo in the inlet system.

I often wonder how much of the stuff finds its way into the inlet manifold on these cars, but you can't easily see so there's no real way of telling.

Took my throttle body off recently to clear out the oil film - the good news is that the mayo itself doesn't seem to make it's way into the t'body or the inlet mani - but you do get a thin film of oily gunk building up - especially in the throttle body. There was much less oil in the mani on mine - it had just formed a small coating on the 'floor' of the manifold

Sign in to follow this