• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mak

Sextons

mak

I'm looking at getting a decent alarm fitted for the 205 and am probably going to use sextons purely for convenience.

But, before i shell out 350 quid I'd like to know I'm not throwing my money to a bunch of cowboys.

so, do we like sextons or dislike sextons?

Edited by mak

GLPoomobile

I can't comment on Sextons, but my 2 cents in general....

I think that actually installing an alarm isn't really difficult once you had a little bit of electrical training, so really any monkey could do it. The problems come (IMHO) with how they treat your car. If I was getting another one done I would strip most of the interior trim where they are likely to be fiddling before hand, so that it undamaged and can be put back by your self.

My drivers A pillar trim is hanging loose because whoever installed the alarm snapped all the tags when they ran the Ultrasonic sensor up behind it.

mak

I would fit it myself, but for one problem. From what I understand because the alarm is a cat 1 system, all the wires relating to the imob. are black, meaning I wont have a clue whats suppose to go where.

TEKNOPUG

It's a total con. You have to get a certified fitted for insurance purposes they are all shocking in my experience. Everyone that I have seen has been bodged. Either trim broken or not replaced and almost always the connections have just been twisted and taped - never soldered and insulated properly - and all for the priviledge of £200!!!

That's why people have so many problems with alarms and immobilisers screwing up. I'd get them to do it but ask them to leave all the trim off. Then redo everything properly yourself.

jim205GTI

i got my clifford done by sextons in bath as a mate knew someone in there who would knock a bit off and where my now ex girlfriend was living there was a spate of break ins by cowboys ( ie bent the doors :)) so decided to get it done....... haven't had any probs with it (fingers crossed) and since i had it done the dash has stopped rattling :D....

When i was removing the loom so the mi could go in the clifford wiring looked reasonably tidy so it wasn't that bad :D

Eryl1.9Gti

They did mine in cardiff, good job.

Had a look on t'internet before ordering the imob, found the prices were same as i could get on internet + £25 for fitting. They also drove me to a cafe so i could have some brekfast, it was pissing it down, fair play to them.

Couldnt tell thet they had done anything to the car exept thet it wouldnt start without the keyring thingy in the car. Top job.

Found their audio stuff was a bit over priced tho.

mak

sounding good so far.

My interior is all stripped at the moment anyways as miles did a bit of welding work for me, so sounds like now is the time to get it done so they dont have a chance to damage any trim.

Rob_the_Sparky

AAIK there is nothing to stop you fitting the immobiliser/alarm yourself. You just have to then pay to get it checked by someone certified to get a certificate for the insurance.

Rob

Steve.C

I used sextons (trowbridge) to fit the Ai606 in my 205, no problems at all, have used them twice as they fitted an alarm to my previous car before the 205 aswel

d-9

Having spent 3 days figuring out the wiring for fitting an AI606 into my old 309 I would probably get it fitted in future, but only if i could watch the guy doing the fitting (seen soooo many bad ones) and i knew the guy was good before i hired him. It was too hard, just very time consuming as i spent a lot of time figuring out what goes where.

Sign in to follow this