• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
timmsy19

Base Model Brakes

timmsy19

how do i find out which brake calipers i have on my 1990 1.0 205 im not sure if they are Bendix or Bendix-Girling

any ideas guys?

Guest smokinslim

You mean Bendix or Lucas-Girling.

Just had a look at the ones on my 1.4, on the back of the caliper if you clean immediately below the bleed nipple they have Bendix in raised lettering if they're made by Bendix.

If you like i can take some pics from various angles if you need. I think i identified my with the haynes manual originally as i recall.

timmsy19

yeah thats what i meant :)

if you could do soem pics that would be fantastic. not got the car hear with me as its in my brothers garage 20miles away from me. i will have a look when i next go up but if u can get some pics before then that would be good. cheers mate

Anthony

All the base model brakes I've seen have been Bendix

1.9 GTi front brakes are a straight swap (disks/pads/calipers) for the base model setup, and worth considering if you need to buy new stuff for your existing brakes (which is why I'm guessing you're asking)

timmsy19

well its mot time at the end of the month and i think it will fail on brakes so was just planing on getting new disc's and pads.

i thought that the 1.6gti brakes was a straight swap?????

could be wrong. if i can get hold of a gti setup for the end of the month i will change them over. saves time doing it now rather than after doin my engine convertion

Anthony
i thought that the 1.6gti brakes was a straight swap?????

1.6 disks are the wrong offset for base model hubs. It's the 1.9 disks that you need, and you can use either 1.6 or 1.9 calipers with them.

timmsy19

which are better. but bear in mind i only have 1.0 and will be putting in a 1.4

so why do people sell disks for 1.6 and 1.9 saying they are the same????

im proably being thick but i dont understand????lol

Edited by timmsy19

Guest smokinslim

Get some gti6 or 307 brakes :) standard 1.4 stuff's pretty pants, prob the same as u have now. Heres a few pics anyway:

front

side

back

You should be able to just about make out the writing on the back of the caliper in the third pic.

Anthony
which are better. but bear in mind i only have 1.0 and will be putting in a 1.4

so why do people sell disks for 1.6 and 1.9 saying they are the same????

People can claim what they want, partly through ignorance and partly assumption, but 1.6 GTi and 1.9 GTi disks are completely different offsets (they are the same 247mm diameter though). For base model hubs, which are the same offset as 1.9 GTi hubs, you'll need 1.9 GTi disks.

With regards to calipers, I personally prefer the 1.9 GTi Girling design - it's heavier than the 1.6 GTi Bendix design, but the way the pads are retained is better and they don't suffer from worn sliders like 1.6 items do.

timmsy19
Get some gti6 or 307 brakes :) standard 1.4 stuff's pretty pants, prob the same as u have now. Heres a few pics anyway:

You should be able to just about make out the writing on the back of the caliper in the third pic.

yer mine are the same as the standard 1.4 crappy things.

what sort of costs am i looking at as im on a budget. so how much will the 307 brakes or the 1.9gti setup cost me??/

Woosey

1.9 calipers will NOT fit onto base models if you want to keep the steelies, go with 1.9 disk and 1.6 calipers.

(trust me i tried;))

timmsy19
1.9 calipers will NOT fit onto base models if you want to keep the steelies, go with 1.9 disk and 1.6 calipers.

(trust me i tried;))

if its just a case of the steel wheels being to small thats not a problem i have 1.9gti alloys fitted anyways. so if i go for 1.9gti calipers and disks how difficult are they to fit. bearing in mind ive never done anything mechanical at all. only interior stuff.

timmsy19

also if i upgrade my brakes to the 1.9gti setup will i have to chance my m/c????

Guest smokinslim

A search and half hour or so of reading should tell you everything you need to know about 307 brakes etc.

What engine have you decided to upgrade to? You can get away with using standard brakes but i wouldn't go any higher than 1.4 with them. I find that under sudden hard breaking i either don't stop as quick as i'd like or i lock up and slide, neither of which is what you want. Grooved discs make a good improvement to standard set up, but bigger brakes would be better still.

timmsy19
A search and half hour or so of reading should tell you everything you need to know about 307 brakes etc.

What engine have you decided to upgrade to? You can get away with using standard brakes but i wouldn't go any higher than 1.4 with them. I find that under sudden hard breaking i either don't stop as quick as i'd like or i lock up and slide, neither of which is what you want. Grooved discs make a good improvement to standard set up, but bigger brakes would be better still.

well im hoping to get a decent tu3s engine. the brakes i have at the moment hardly stop me when i come hammering down off the motorway or duel carriage way at top speed of 80 if im lucky. so im still gona go for either 1.9gti setup then maybe next year i will go for 307 brakes if i can afford it as i mite get some twin 40's on the tu3s

Anthony
also if i upgrade my brakes to the 1.9gti setup will i have to chance my m/c????

Your existing 19mm MC will work fine, although you might have slightly more pedal travel than before. A 20.6mm GTi MC is a straight swap, but for now I'd stick with the existing MC ;)

timmsy19
Your existing 19mm MC will work fine, although you might have slightly more pedal travel than before. A 20.6mm GTi MC is a straight swap, but for now I'd stick with the existing MC ;)

good stuff. means less hassle for the moment

Sign in to follow this