• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest TSL 333

My Car Has Crabs!

Guest TSL 333

B)

As above; rather scary seeing as I use it as a Hot Hatch/ Track Car!!! I had previously posted on here and understand that it is a wishbone bush - but what exactly is it??? For the avoidance of any doubt, the car pulls one way when you lift off and the other when I put the foor down. Going round corners the car is all over the place; going round corners itself!!! Driving on say the motorway is plain fookin scary. I bought it with 9 months MOT and to be honest do not know how the previous owner got away with it... :(

I am a self confessed chequebook mechanic (well for the hard jobs :) ) so what would this be likely to cost me???

Edited by TSL 333

Richie-Van-GTi

you camnget complete wishbones with ball joints and bushes for around £45 a side, very easy to DIY and should solve your problems.

pug_ham

Best to check them properly before opening your cheque book, it might end up a very expensive job otherwise.

Jack the car up & remove the front wheel, with a good sized screwdriver gently lever against the subframe next to each bush & see if any show movement if they aren't visably knackered.

It is also possible that the balljoint is dead or the hub is ovalled where the balljoint fits in. To check this remove the bolt holding the balljoint in & pry the balljoint out of the hub & see how it feels when you try to move it by hand.

If its loose & has lots of play in then this is most likely the problem & a new wishbone is needed but if it is tight & all the bushes are Ok then the hub is suspect. Refit the balljoint but use a new shouldered bolt when you do & see if this fixes it, if not that an replacement hub is needed. (Scrapyard spares or a wanted ad on here).

Graham.

C_W

The term "crabbing" to me is when a car's chassis is bent and the shells seems to crab along the wrong, although I see a lot of old Minis that look like they do this. A friend had a metro that was literally a cut and shut many years ago and that looked almost like it was drifting when it was going in a straight line :)

As graham says it's most likely to be the wishbone bush or balljoint.

Guest TSL 333
The term "crabbing" to me is when a car's chassis is bent and the shells seems to crab along the wrong, although I see a lot of old Minis that look like they do this. A friend had a metro that was literally a cut and shut many years ago and that looked almost like it was drifting when it was going in a straight line :D

As graham says it's most likely to be the wishbone bush or balljoint.

Fair point; I may perhaps have misused the term. What I mean is the car 'weaves' from side to side, particularly around 60mph on the motorway when gently easing on/ off the throttle :) . The problem appears to me to come from the front wheels and is having an effect on the way the car steers.

It may be worth highlighting that the steering feels particularly heavy as well...........

Edited by TSL 333

C_W

Heavy is good IMO, they are notorious for being heavy though, especially at parking speeds but usually become fine at driving speed.

pug_ham
The term "crabbing" to me is when a car's chassis is bent and the shells seems to crab along the wrong, although I see a lot of old Minis that look like they do this.
First thought upon seeing the title was the same as you Chris but after reading the symptoms I forgot to mention it.

Not always due to a Mini having been in a crash just a poorly repaired subframe mounting panel so the back is out of alignment & it drives slightly side on.

From your later description I'd definately look at the bushes & all steering components, track rods ends etc but when you sat heavy what are you comparing it to?

Graham.

Guest TSL 333
From your later description I'd definately look at the bushes & all steering components, track rods ends etc but when you sat heavy what are you comparing it to?

Graham.

Compared to my Scooby with power steering!!! Seriously though, it does feel very heavy when parking etc. The car does not have power steering and seems heavier than say for example my old XR2. The Haynes manual suggests that this could be a track rod end fault.

I will take the wheels off at the weekend for a butchers1

Guest TSL 333

Tried to take the front wheel off and could not as one of the front nuts appears to be stripped - reckon this is a job for the garage.......

Edited by TSL 333

notamondayfan
The term "crabbing" to me is when a car's chassis is bent and the shells seems to crab along the wrong, although I see a lot of old Minis that look like they do this.

i had a car (good old fiesta 1.1 mk3) that crabbed, after a nasty accident into a huge curb!! when u looked down the side of the car, u cud see the wheels didnt line up!! was good going around left handed corners, but pants going right!! lol!

205Rog

I had this exact same problem and believe it or not it was the subframe mounting bolts! they had worked loose, and under acceleration would wander around as you decribe.

Worth a look I would have thought.

dead205

I wouldn't worry about the steering being heavy - mine is the same and nearly every part is new so I would expect it to be like that

Guest TSL 333

It's in the garage as of tonight - I took the lazy way out as all the bolts were seriously corroded - there is no way I would get them off with my sh1t tools up the driveway- just hope it is not too expensive!!!

Guest TSL 333

Just back from the garage today and all sorted.........it was the n/s wishbone/ ball joint afterall!!! Car is now going like a sweetie - cannot wait till the next trackday a week on Sunday!! Having said that, now that is sorted, I reckon there is a slight 'roll' from the back; maybee it's just the way the car is, but there again, maybee not..........will just need to wait and see...........could that sudden rear wheel bearing failure be down to something else.......who knows, all I know is that the main problems have been sorted so far and I gave the car a good wash cos I love it!!!

danpug

I've got this exact problem right now, there is slight play in the wheel on drivers side back and forth only.

Sign in to follow this