• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest MY16

Mi16 Conversion Won't Start

Guest MY16

Hi All.

Over the last week I have been doing a 205 Mi16 Conversion with (Mad Professor).

We are having a big problem trying to get the engine to start.

1st thing I need to know for sure is the fireing order and dizzy lead orders.

I beleave the fireing order is 1-4-3-2, and the dizzy leads starting at 1'clock going anticlockwise.

We get a pop and or bang once in a blue moon, but if I drip fuel into the TB, we get more pops and bangs.

Can anyone please confirm if the 1.9 8v & 1.9 16v Injectors are the same or are dif.

and can you please also confirm the ECU number, as we are unsure if we have been sent the right ECU.

Has anyone got any idears?

Edited by MY16

pacey205

Heres the lead order.

mi16plugcables6os.jpg

Michael

Guest MY16

sorry I ment 1-3-4-2.

We have just poped out the injectors, thay are all firing, and we have replaced all the spark plugs.

So we have fuel and spark, but still no go.

d-9

knackerd coil/ignition amp? (just coz its sparking doesnt rule these out)

no compression?

Guest MY16

The injectors that came with the Mi16 engine are Bosch 280 150 762

d-9

Ahhh your using the 8v loom and management?

Is the dizzy timing totally out?

Guest MY16

The only thing we can think of is it being the timing!!! The engine loom has been changed for the one I got with the engine and parts (check 1 of the previous posts for pic of loom)

Thanks Phill

Mad Professor

I tought it might of been an timing issue, so I changed the fireing order all the way around the dizzy keeping in the 1-3-4-2 order, but just moving the leads to the next point on the dizzy, but that made no dif.

Like said before we have new spark plugs & good spark, all the injectors are fireing, So I just can't see why it will not start.

Unless the engine is overfueling or underfueling for some resign.

Mad Professor

we are trying to use the 8v dizzy system with the adaptor, Would this be causing a problem?

should we scrap the 8v dizzy system and go out and buy the mi16 dizzy system?

Mad Professor

I was think about scraping all of the 8v stuff, and going all over to the 16v stuff, loom, ecu, ect.

But if I renamber right is that the 16v has the sensor on/in the gear box for use with the 60-2 trigger wheel.

Witch if that is the case we can't change over to the 16v stuff, as the 60-2 trigger wheel has been remove for the auto box.

Or is there another way around it?

Mad Professor

Come on peps, any idears please.

Just say things to try, I will say if we have tried them or not.

C_W

Does sound like a timing issue; I seem to remember with mine when I breifly ran it on 8v injection/ignition that the leads had to be turned 180degrees.

Mad Professor

As for the timing the resign we could not get it to start is that none of the 4 points on the dizzy at TDC would line up, the only way I could get it to line up was to cut off runners on the side of the dizzy unit, and turn the dizzy an extra half inch.

We have now got the car to start.

The car is very hard to try and start tho.

It seems to flood it's self very easy.

If we try to start the car 1st thing in the morning she will start, but you need to give a fair but of the load pedel or it will just die, and will be a right bitch to start again.

If we keep cranking it over she will not start, and smells realy rich of fuel.

The only way we can then try and get the engine to start is to remove F14 (Fuel Pump Fuse), and keep cranking until the engine catches and then quicky put the fuse back in.

Any more idears?

vee6

sounds as if you have ecu temp problem. Check your blue plug that was down the back of the 8V engine.

check my thread here http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=57913 .. i know you have a different engine but if you are using the 8v loom and ECU then it sounds if you are suffering the same symptoms !

Mad Professor

On friday (14/04/2006) we was still getting no way with getting the conversion started.

So I ripped out the spark plugs again, thay had a layer of oil over them.

So off with the head, 30min's later the head was off again, could not see any problems with the head or head gasket.

So I gave it a good clean up, and put it all back on.

Guess what the engine started time turn on the key, YES we was going, We started the car 5 more times during the day.

Saturday we was going to finish of putting evenything in and tidying up.

So we tought we will just give the car a quick start again, turned the key engine cranked over, no go. :angry:

We keeped the engine cracking over until the battery went flat, the engine would try and catch now and then, like, pop, a few turns later, pop, pop, then pop, then pop pop pop, but no vooom vooom.

I am now getting very close to putting a match in the fuel tank.

Any idears please.

Mad Professor

vee6: I am 99% sure we have tried the ecu water temp sensor from the old 8v engine, But we will give it a try again tomowz.

elrikos

have you checked the wiring from the dizzy to the ignition amp. Its the 3 pin wire coming out of the dizzy that connects directly to the ignition amp. If its not connected your spark will be poor or all over the place.

Rich

p.s. i also had to modify the dizzy by cutting the runners when i briefly ran the 8v dizzy setup

vee6

no need to take the head off anymore .. this is an electrical fault!!

You'll have to check the important signals sent back to ECU , temp , spark , air. Double check the connectors .. make sure no wiring 'trapped' .. its an easy thing to overlook !

Check earthing ..also an easily overlooked problem. You obviously have had the timing belt off so i'd do a double verify on that too.

i understand that it is very frustrating and sometimes its the most obvious things that go unchecked !! the simplest issues can cause the biggest problems !

Good Luck .. post your findings !!

Mad Professor

elrikos: We did have to adjust the runners on the dizzy as well.

vee6: When it comes to timing belts I all ways tripple cheak them.

I will post any more of my findings.

Guest downsy

I would also check for vacuum leaks around the induction system although i suspect that this isn't related to the problems you are having, I was experiencing similar symptoms after rebuilding my XU.

Good luck mate

Mark

Mad Professor

We did get her to start on the 8v stuff.

But it ran like a b*tch, and sounded like a bag on spaners.

So we desided to scrap that engine, and got engine number 2 ince 16v ECU, ect.

inferno

didnt you say the block had a hole in it or something?

im sorry engine number two seems to be destroying auto boxes :D

Sign in to follow this