• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Edd-XS

Mi Link Loom

Edd-XS

Im still in two minds about this, but I think due to my current circumstances, the most sensible (and feasable) option I have is to do my Mi conversion myself. Ive done a fair bit of reading up on it lately and it would seem that the main issues of the conversion are the wiring, stopping the exhaust from hitting the bulkhead, and the inlet manifold clearance.

The exhaust shouldnt be a problem as I will be purchasing one of QEPs re-angling plates. I will still have to get the downpipe re-angled it would seem but that shouldnt be a problem.

The inlet manifold/rad problem will be solved by putting a shortened manifold on. Bit of a 'cut corner' to some people but others swear by the shortened manifold, and its one less thing to worry about!

The wiring is my main problem. I have the 405 engine loom, but I understand that a 'link loom' is the best option? Ive read andyR's wiring diagrams, and being fairly confident with electronics am more then capable of doing this. However, I scrapped the car before getting the car side of the loom! Are there any ways around this, or alternatively, does anyone have a spare CAR side of the loom knocking about I can have/buy?

I understand the engine itself should sit in the original mounts no problems but that a stiffer bottom mount is a good idea?

If anyone has anything to add then please do as although ive done a few searchs, im sure there are possible issues I may encounter should I attempt this.

Many thanks

Edd

dee205

I did the conversion myself apart from getting my mechanic mate to give me a hand removing and fitting the engine.

I used a stiffer lower bush and would recommend it as there isn't the slap of the engine moving when bang the loud pedal down.

It won't be that big of a problem not having the car loom.

It's just going to be a matter of joining the 205 sensor loom from under the dash, to the wires in the brown and black plug on the Mi managment loom.

Or you can do what I'm going to be doing and that's to bring new wires from the plugs under the 205 dash straight to the sensors etc on the engine. Doing away with the need for soldering the wires together and having multiplugs that can corrode. Effectively have a managment loom and guage/sensor look seperate.

This should work ok AFAIK

Damien

I still have loads of stuff on what all the wires on both looms are for if you get stuck.

Edd-XS

so basically remove the 405 engine loom connectors and hardwire it directly to the 205 loom? is it worth hardwiring it past the original 8v connectors, or leave them in place? Is there much else that needs wiring up apart from the loom?

cheers people!

Edd

dee205

Keep the original 205 plugs under the dash. You'd only end up having to solder the wires somewhere. Replace the wires in the plug with new wires to run directly to the sensors etc. Use the same spade type connectors or whatever to connect to the sensors etc. You''ll still be able to remove the link loom from the car by unclipping the plugs under the dash and pulling the spades off the sensor terminals so it won't be 'hard wired' so to speak.

That's only for guages and sensors though. The fuel pump and some some other wires will be a different story but they all come from the plugs under the dash and are easy worked around.

Damien

maxi

Whats all this about then Edd????

Link looms are a s*ite way of doing it. I always spend the time going right through the 405 loom, taking out ALL the non management s*ite and then just run the 205 sensor loom instead. Much neater and more reliable way of doing it.

Maxi

Miles

The looms easy, it's only a Positive, Switch +ve, Fuel Pump and earth along with the tacho etc, Make your own sensor loom as this get's rid of all the old dodgy connections that the std 205 sensor loom has these days.

I might be getting some downpipes made without the need for a re-angled manifold as I have a pattern for this now!!

But have ago, what you got to loose

jackherer
I might be getting some downpipes made without the need for a re-angled manifold as I have a pattern for this now!!

how does a downpipe mean you dont need a reangled manifold?

pugrallye

link looms are easy to manufacter, will make one minimal charge for anyone wanting one

inferno
link looms are easy to manufacter, will make one minimal charge for anyone wanting one

fancy knocking a quick link loom up to the xantia turbo loom then tomorow for me?!make it extended of course so that i can plug it in. oh and while your at it, how about extending the ecu plug section to fit in the correct place under the dash?! do you take visa?!

ta muchly!

Edp
Whats all this about then Edd????

Link looms are a s*ite way of doing it. I always spend the time going right through the 405 loom, taking out ALL the non management s*ite and then just run the 205 sensor loom instead. Much neater and more reliable way of doing it.

Maxi

Can you do this with the 306 gti6 loom??

pugrallye

yes can make link looms for any pug engine, afraid dont take visa though, will extend ecu looms... under duress, lol

Edited by pugrallye

maxi
Can you do this with the 306 gti6 loom??

Yes mate, I know these looms inside out too!

Ill sort it all when I drop the lump in

Maxi

Sign in to follow this