• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jonD6B

Different Compound Tyres Front And Rear.

jonD6B

If you were to fit average road tyres as usual to the fornt of your 205 and something soft on the rear what would happen to the handling characteristics of the car? Would this reduce the back end coming loose?

Edited by jonD6B

hengti

makes sense on paper. i've always been in the habit of sticking the same on all round myself

why are you asking? the back end really shouldn't be that mobile (although realise it's got alot to do with driving style)

if it's swinging about too much, you might have a problem with the susp somewhere

tagy

would possibly reduce the back end coming round, but it would be too understeery imo. I'd go with good tyres all round.

SamGTi

Exactly! Why not just go for decent tyres all round and get the best from your car!

Rippthrough

The problem is that they would warm up at completely different rates - it might be a bit twitchy until there's heat in all the tyres, the handling characteristics would certainly change as they warmed up, and it'd probably understeer afterwards.

It's perfectly plausable to do, but whether it's worth it or not is another matter.

d-9

Ive run F1s on the back and p6000s on the front and the car was understeery as hell. Far better with p6000s allround coz that way you could put it into drifts really easily.

Stick to one type of tyre if u possibly can,

jonD6B

It's purely a hypothetical question on my part but I wondered whether people on here who didn't want to spend the money on suspension and beam mods could cut out the dreaded lift off oversteer by trying this instead really. So really a question for everyday road cars and whether they could be made safer for no real cost. Opinions still welcomed. :lol:

Rippthrough

What's so dreaded about it? Don't lift off sharply mid corner and it's a superb tool rather than something to get rid of.

I try changing tyre pressures first if you are that concerned.

d-9

Yeah, only time the oversteer is dreaded is as im going round a sweeping left hander at 90 in the wet and realise its getting tighter and the fronts starting to loose grip.

the rest of hte time its fun :lol:

pacey205

Tyre pressures would be a better way to go IMO, just run the rears slightly below the fronts, I usually run my 30 front 28 rear or 28 front 26 rear depending upon the time of year.

Michael

Rippthrough
Tyre pressures would be a better way to go IMO, just run the rears slightly below the fronts, I usually run my 30 front 28 rear or 28 front 26 rear depending upon the time of year.

Michael

And I run mine 28 front 32-34 rear :lol:

Sign in to follow this