• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest BrainFluid

The Hole In The Flywheel...

Guest BrainFluid

Hey all.

So I keep on turning the engine to find this bloomin 8mm hole in the fly wheel but it just dont seem to be turning up! I'm presuming that it does line up with the 1cm or so sized hole that you can see the flywheel turning? There is a smaller hole down and right of this kind of on the bottom of the casing but there aint much space to get a dowel in and when a hole does line up with that hole, the holes in the cam wheel dont line up.

There is what looks like half a hole which does appearing the 'view finder' hole but theres no way an 8mm rod will get in there.

Am I missing somthing?

Just so I know before my perciverence turn into somthing else!

Nathan.

Oh, Ive took the mount off the right hand side to get at that side of the engine eaiser. Should I have done this after i got the dowel in?

Guest BrainFluid

Okay.

Maybe a false alarm.

Ive turned the engine and used a pointy thing insted of a 8m dowel to find the fly wheel hole.

I've found one and the cam sprocket and injection pump holes line up to but this hole is rectangular? and does not go right through the fly wheel only half way through.

Its about 4mm by 6mm.

Is this the right hole? and what sould I use to keep it still? Best thing I can think of is shaving a piece of wood down and hammering it in tight. Tell me if thats a stupid idea and what the eaiser route is!

Thanks,

The hurdle might have stopped me but I'm gonna finish the race!

Nate.

Guest BrainFluid

Nope.

That retangleular hole doesnt quite line up with the little ammount I got to turn the engine to get the bolt through the cam sprocket and into the block.

Theres no hole!

Am I crazy?

Or just ignorant?

Do I have to hold the fly wheel in place or can I just hold the sprockets? Or is that a REALLY bad idea?

Help!

crogthomas

First sign of madness you know.....

What exactly are you trying to do?

A cambelt change? If so, you're looking at the wrong end of the engine...

Guest BrainFluid

Nope.

I'm taking the head off so I can get it skimmed and change the gasket.

I'm following the Haynes manual and I'm at the bit where it says "put a 8mm metal dowel into the special hole in the left flange next to the starter motor and turn the engine carefully untill the dowel slots into the flywheel"

Well.

I'm going round and round and round and round. The dowel aint slotting into no hole and if I turn the engine and just look with my eyes I see no holes apart from half way deep retangular ones whith dont line up with the sprocket's locator holes on the other end of the engine.

Is Haynes lying?

Do I not need to jam the flywheel.

Or am I missing somthing?

blue1.9

It sounds like you are looking for the hole in the crank pulley which is directly below the cam pulley (it's the pulley that drives the belt for the alternator)

With a dowel located in the right place through the cam pulley and head it should be possible to identify the hole in the crank pulley through which to insert a dowel to be certain the the crank pulley is in the right place for the cambelt change - it's the 8mm hole in the pulley that's at about the 11 o'clock position.....behind it there should be a hole through the black cam belt shielding and then behind that there should be a recess formed in the side of the block (roughly rectangular in shape) into which the 8mm dowel will just about wit when everything is lined up!

With the dowels in place you should then lock the flywheel in place so that you can undo the various bolts etc - DON'T try to lock everything in place with the dowels as it won't work well and you'll probably damage your engine.

Hope that helps.

Alex

Guest BrainFluid
Nope.

I'm taking the head off so I can get it skimmed and change the gasket.

I'm following the Haynes manual and I'm at the bit where it says "put a 8mm metal dowel into the special hole in the left flange next to the starter motor and turn the engine carefully untill the dowel slots into the flywheel"

Well.

I'm going round and round and round and round. The dowel aint slotting into no hole and if I turn the engine and just look with my eyes I see no holes apart from half way deep retangular ones whith dont line up with the sprocket's locator holes on the other end of the engine.

Is Haynes lying?

Do I not need to jam the flywheel.

Or am I missing somthing?

blue1.9

Sorry - was typing my post when you answered.

Lets start with basics....what car and what engine are you working on?

I don't remember Haynes talking about a dowel going through the flywheel when I removed the head on my GTI.

Alex

Guest BrainFluid

No worries Alex :P

I'm working on my STDT with the Turbo Diesel XUD7T engine.

I'm following the Haynes, so I align the bolt holes in the cam and injector sprocket to the block holes. Then the book says to insert a 8mm dowel rod through the special hole in the left hand rear flange of the block next to the starter.

I'm using the most obvious hole, the one where you can see the fly wheel( but i do admit its bigger than 8mm) but there is no hole in the fly even when i turn the engine as Haynes says.

I'm stumped.

Fekking glad This sites here I can tell ya!

Nathan.

Edited by BrainFluid

Richie-Van-GTi

you wont see the hole, its in the back of the flywheel, feel about behind the starter motor, there is a hole heading through the side of the block towards the flywheel, push a bolt through and keep it pushed whilst slowly rotating the crank by hand, It will click into place.

Guest BrainFluid

Still need some help though!

Do I have to jam the Flywheel when removing a head like Haynes says or can I just rely on jamming the sprockets? With the M8 bolts of course!

Nate.

Edited by BrainFluid

Richie-Van-GTi

As lomng as you dont turn the bottom end at all you can get away with not locking it but its risky as when pulling the belt back onto tensioners you risk turning it and could end up out one tooth.

Guest BrainFluid
As lomng as you dont turn the bottom end at all you can get away with not locking it but its risky as when pulling the belt back onto tensioners you risk turning it and could end up out one tooth.

Sounds risky to me!

Do you think I'm trying to put the dowel in the wrong hole?

I really cant see another one, but please, any help on finding this bloomin hole in the fly wheel would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Nathan.

Richie-Van-GTi

easiest way to find it is whip the starter motor off, have a look and you should be able to see a hole through the block towards the flywheel. Once you find the hole you should find turning the crank with pressure on the bolt will soon pop it into place and lock it. Having someone else to just push on the bolt whilst you ccank is the easiest way. I get the GF to do it.

Guest BrainFluid

Lol I'd have got the GF to turn it too, had to settle for the weakling neighbour because our young 'un hasnt slept all day.

It just seem odd you see I Turned the engine loads and no sight of the hole at all.

Guess I'ld better take the stater off then!

Cheers dude.

Nate.

(p.s . Have i definatly got the right hole then? Its about the size of a penny and you can see the fly wheel wizz by through it)

Richie-Van-GTi

no wrong hole, thats the generic hole for crank sensors in all pug XU bellhousings.

The hole is in the block behind the starter motor, you cant see through it, its just big enough for an 8mm bolt to pass through and press against the back of the flywheel.

Guest BrainFluid

BINGO!

Thank you very much...

Who wants to slap me first? :P

Nate.

pug_ham

On a diesel engine not a petrol so the hole is there hidden up behind the starter & a nightmare to find. Took me a few tries to locate it but it is there.

As you say it doesn't go right through the flywheel, just part way.

I wouldn't take the head off without locking the bottm end as well personally.

Graham.

Sign in to follow this