• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest BrainFluid

While On My Travells...

Guest BrainFluid

I couldnt resist having a look at an STDT that was in the paper.

So what if the head gaskets gone I just had to buy it. And I'm glad I did, if it had been with the lad any longer i'ld hate to think what would have happened to it. You should have seen what he had done to his corsa, butcher central!

First (back to the stdt)he had made himself a pair of angel eyes out of some pair of headlights he'd picked up and had gouged out behind the sockets to get them to fit, fixable but only just! Am gonna need a new bumper too seen as he'd cut into it below where the headlights are.

Second and this is what is making me wonder if this is why the water boiled and blew his head...He's fitted a dump valve. He's achived this by using the pipe which runs from the manifold to the injector pump which increases fuel when the boost is high...I'm sure it sounded great but...

He rekkoned that his water system blew because of a burst pipe under the rad but after thinking about it do you think what could have happened was that the engine ran too lean because of the pump not knowing when to add more fuel???

Any way this stopped him in his butchering tracks as he cant be arsed with it any more and is going to work in izbitza anyhows. And he bought it with a duff head gasket and replaced and skimmed the head once already.

Now its my turn.

Back to your former glory for you my child!!!

Not that I've ever done a head gasket before but you know what? Maybe I'm ready...

Anyway onto my question. How many times can a head be skimmed? Its definatly been skimmed once, is there any way I could check how many times it has been skimmed? Oh, the engine will still start but only without water in other wise it propells water out from its head resovoir, so it aint seized. Is there any thing else that I should be thinking about doing after a cars blown its top so to speak? Would it be worth me taking a photo so you guys (gals?) can have a look?

Thanks,

Nathan.

Oh, Its Emerald green with a beige interior an standard stdt alloys. hehe, its beautifull.

Guest BrainFluid

In fact should I just start by taking the head off and take it from there?

pug_ham
In fact should I just start by taking the head off and take it from there?
That sounds like its your best starting point.

If the head can be skimmed again will depend on how much it was skimmed the first time & how badly it needs skimming if at all. Why are you certain its been done once before? The diesel heads can usually only be skimmed a maximum of twice afaik but that depends on how much was skimmed off first time. If it was badly warped then it might already be to far gone to skim again. Try skimming to much off & you'll have piston to valve contact issues afaik.

Graham.

Ant

Worse case senario, if the head is knackered, and you cant find a replacement... Stick a 1.9TD lump in out of a 306 :D

Most scrappys have 1 or 2 :) Bet you could pick a complete lump up for £100 - £200

Not sure how easy they are to fit, but a lad local to me has one in his 205

Just an idea :)

205turbo

my mate fitted the complete setup from a 218/418 rover TD, goes so much better than the peugeot varient, i beleve there rated a 10bhp more.

Guest BrainFluid

Ooops wrong section. Sorry!

Graham. The kid I got the car off bought it as a non runner and had the head skimmed so yup its been done once already.

If its only been done the once I should be alright then? I'm planning on taking it back to the place that skimmed it in the first place maybe they will remember how much they skimmed it?

Is there any way of telling just by looking/measuring it and telling how much has been taken of when it was skimmed?

Also, if it proves to be just too fekked warped and all, is it right to presume that I could take the head off of another car? would it have to be a TD xud7 or would any diesel xu do?

Thanks for your help.

Nathan.

Guest yaztromo

Did anyone else read the topic title as

"While on my travels I found me an STD"

I thought what the hell until I read a little more slowly.

Guest BrainFluid

lol, thats one way to help get to 30 posts i suppose :)

Seriously, How does one tell if a head is too warped to repair? Or if its been skimmed too much/ too many times before.

I take it that the haynes manual is okay on the matter of removing a head from searching this site so I'ld better get on with that in the mean time...

But could anyone lend me some off their experiance as to what I should check with the rest of the engine (cracks? things like that) so I dont end up wasting time and money on the project? Like previous peeps have said, going for a whole engine replacment could end up as the cheaper less faff method, if everything looks cool and groovy then it really is about time I did a head gasket.

Thanks again,

Nate.

888rmb
Seriously, How does one tell if a head is too warped to repair? Or if its been skimmed too much/ too many times before.

I'm not a machinist, but I would say you need to measure how much the head has distorted and then work out if the amount you need to remove will take you below the minimum thickness for the head to maintain the correct CR.

You could put the head on a surface you know to be perfectly flat and use that to compared it to the head. See if you can get a measurement with feeler gauges. That would only be approximate and you would need to take it to a machine shop for them to measure it accurately.

pug_ham

AFAIK to get an idea of how much it been skimmed previously you'd need to measure the volume of the chambers in the head with both valves closed & compare that to a new head for the XUD7T engine.

You should be able to calculate the amount that was skimmed off first time from this.

If you are taking it for skimming again then the machine shop will test the head for warping & should tell you straight away if it can be skimmed again.

They did with my old diesel when the head gasket went on that & advised me that if it went again I'd need a new head as it had been heavily skimmed before this one but that was an n/a diesel engine.

Graham.

DaveW
my mate fitted the complete setup from a 218/418 rover TD, goes so much better than the peugeot varient, i beleve there rated a 10bhp more.

till it went bang ;)

Ryan

The easiest way is to take the head to a garage and see what they say. It may not even need skimming at all (it's a myth that the head ALWAYS needs skimming if the gasket has gone).

Guest BrainFluid
till it went bang ;)

LoL.

&

Thanks Graham / Ryan. Looks like I'll take it off and take it to the skimmers.

I've been given the name of a local company who will skim it for £35. But I've yet to ring them and see how bare a head they need for the price. If indeed It needs skimming at all.

Dammit...The 'ole Brain cany help thinking what else you might bugger about with in there seen as its open.

Just gotta remind myself to stick with one job at a time!

Nate.

Edited by BrainFluid

Ahl

Regarding checking if the head needs skimmed, can you not spray some engineers blue (or similar) over it and wipe it with a metal rule?

scott8629

Stick the 1.9 out of a 306/405 TD in it. I had one and It was very nippy. Good fuel economy aswell 36 quid=480 miles and thats not hanging about.

Scott

Guest BrainFluid

Hey Scott!

Just out of curiosity do you know what make of injector pump the engine your suggesting had with it? Thanks man.

Nate.

888rmb

405 1.9TDs normally have the Bosch pumps.

Guest BrainFluid

Aharrrr.

Interesting...

:)

888rmb

What would really be interesting would be if you fitted a 2.1 TD (110 bhp) or 2.5 TD (130bhp) diesel from a Citreon XM. The 2.1TD has a 12 valve head.

Guest BrainFluid

Holy Feck!

Thats sound so wrong it could be just right!

lol.

I doubt it would be a straight forward change over though would it?

Nate.

jackherer

The 2.1TD has been put in 205s before, but the 2.5 is a different thing entirely I think.

Richie-Van-GTi

anything above 1.9td will require loom and ecu changes, the 1.9 and below are pure mechanical and will bolt straight in using existing loom and box. Head swaps are relatively easy on these beasts, once you lock down the pulleys it all just pops straight off. The dumpvalve T'd into that pipe wont cause issues as its normal practice, also you can sell the DV kit with solenoids and piping/switch etc on abay for upwards of £100 which will pay for a 1.9 lump. Problem will arise for the exhaust but its do-able. Then a quick fettle with the pump and turbo and youve got a 110bhp 205 derv that you can run on veg oil. If you want a veg oil runner though get the bosch pump td, the lucas pump struggles with the waxing from veg oil.

Guest BrainFluid

Brilliant!

Good thinking Van man.

Nate.

Sign in to follow this