• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest myba

Ignition Barrel

Guest myba

My ignition switch spring broke a couple years ago and been starting it carefully ever since. Then the misses had to borrow it... broke the barrel, got the key stuck and jammed the starter on. So, one starter later and its time to replace the barrel.

I've searched about replacing the barrel, undone the top screw, key in position 2, push tabs and it starts to pull out, thats fine, but should the ignition wires come out with it to unscrew the 2 screws at the back of the barrel - theres not enough slack in the wire to pull through the barrel container. I've got a spare ignition and am hoping to use the wiring block in the new switch

Maybe I'm missing something but i cant see how to get this thing out,

any pointers appreciated,

thanks, ant

hengti

isn't this just a push on plug?

can't be sure as it's a while since i did mine; don't remember having any difficulty though

what does the connection on the new barrel look like?

jonD6B

I should know this as I took mine out not so long back but I seem to have forgotten. I think the plugs should just pull off and the two screws at the back are to dismantle the actual barrel.

Guest myba

yeah, would of been a good idea if i'd sent some piccies in the first place,

DSC_0418.JPG

DSC_0416.JPG

DSC_0415.JPG

in the second pic you can see the black plastic plug slides into the metal holder - and the screws in the first piccy needs to be un-done to get to split the two parts to get the plastic plug out.

Hope this helps jog peoples memories,

thanks, A

Guest rick03054

Just follow the wires back and undo the connections and carefully pull them through the column housing.

jonD6B

Are the cables tied up under the dash which could allow more slack? I've just remembered that I cut my leads at the plug to remove it. I should just point out that I've fitted keyless ignition so I wouldn't suggest that you copy that idea! B)

hengti

ignoring the fact that it plugs into the barrel - what have you got on the other end of those wires?

is there not another plug on the end of that? if there is, can't you just unplug it back there?

damn - I just can't remember!

pug_ham

There should be two plugs at the opposite end of the wires where it plugs into the rest of the car loom.

IIRC they are usually on the trim panel behind the lower dash panel.

Graham.

Guest myba

ahh, I see what you mean. I had a look at where the wires go and they dissapear out of sight. I'll have a good rummage and see what i can find

thanks for your help

Sign in to follow this