• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Megster

21 Mm 309 Front Arb A Good Idea?

Guest Megster

Does fitting one of these items improve a 205 for track use? What size front ARB does the 1.9 have as standard.

Thank you - Alun

C_W

Not really, thickening up the rear ARB seems to be the way to go from most suspension posts on here.

Jonmurgie

Yeah, there has been many a heated debate over whether to uprate the front ARB and I 'believe' the general outcome was that it's not worth doing on the 205. Some people have tried it and swear by it, but if you speak to the people who know/understand suspension it's not something that's any real benefit on the 205.

As Chris potins out, the rear ARB is the one to uprate, along with the torsion bars, though neither of those are particularly cheap.

jackherer

I tried one, hated it and put a 205 bar back on and was happy again.

Batfink

if you like understeer its the way to go!

cybernck

i like the 309 ARB, however, only with 309 wishbones and 309 rear beam.

i would never fit it to an otherwise standard 205.

Guest Megster

Thanks everyone,

I think I'll leave it well alone!

Regards - AJ

jackherer
i like the 309 ARB, however, only with 309 wishbones and 309 rear beam.

really? thats exacly the setup I've tried on a couple of 205s that I found understeered and felt unpleasant. I guess its all down to personal preference in the end.

Miles

Well we're trying a even bigger front ARB on our Race 205, We're on the 309 one with good results on tyre wear at the moment due to much flatter cornering speeds when compared to a coupel of our 205's which use there tyres to quickly and learn big time using 10mm front ARB's

So yes I'd say the results look good,

C_W
Well we're trying a even bigger front ARB on our Race 205, We're on the 309 one with good results on tyre wear at the moment due to much flatter cornering speeds when compared to a coupel of our 205's which use there tyres to quickly and learn big time using 10mm front ARB's

So yes I'd say the results look good,

But is that not coupled with fat rear torsion bars and arb?

boombang

A mate of mine runs 309 front ARB and a big fat rear ARB on standard 205 springs with as small an amount of damping as needed and its very very good IMHO.

i.e. its very flat and corners very fast

C_W
A mate of mine runs 309 front ARB and a big fat rear ARB on standard 205 springs with as small an amount of damping as needed and its very very good IMHO.

i.e. its very flat and corners very fast

Yea I can see that working to some extent; uprating both will keep the same balance, although I think uprateing the rear further compared to the front is supposed to be better as it reduced understeer?

BUT fitting a 309 front arb on its own won't be that great I wouldn't havae thought.

niklas

A bit off-topic but still an interresting point to the "understeer-oversteer" debate..

The 205 (especially uprated ones) can be quite snappy to drive and not everyone is comfortable with this behaviour. Then it can be a good idea to induce a little "safe understeer" and that specific driver will drive faster around the track.

So theoretically it may not be correct to increase front roll stiffness without increasing rear with at least the same amount.

But in reality it might be the other way around to get the best lap times... B)

mfield

I fitted a 309 front arb and found that on tight or sub 70-80 corners it was understeering, but on high speed runs and coners it kept the front end much more stable and less twitchy.

Guest smokinslim

Are 309 ARBs the same length as 205 ARBs? I have a 23mm ARB and don't have any problems with understeer.

pug_ham
Are 309 ARBs the same length as 205 ARBs? I have a 23mm ARB and don't have any problems with understeer.
Front yes, rear no.

Graham.

Miles

Yes it is with the rear uprated, 28mm Rear ARB and 23mm bars from memory, But the back's the best place to start then the front

Hilgie

I have a 309GTi16 rear beam (which comes with uprated rearARB as standard) and the full 309GTi16 front suspension and I think it sticks in corners and can corner very quick.

Sign in to follow this