• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Dave_McC

1600 Cti Feels Gutless

Dave_McC

I bought an f reg 1600 cti from ebay a couple of weeks ago as a bit of a project / summer toy, but it feels totally gutless to me. The engine starts fine and seems to idle OK. No pinking and no obvious smoke screen following me.

It does accelerate, but with no vigour at all. It's quite smooth, and no particularly strange noises. It struggles to get up to much over about 75mph, which can't be right.

So far, I've discovered the vacuum advance unit on the distributor is knackered (see separate post) which I'm in the process of replacing. It also seems to have a 1.9 dizzy on it (pt No 0237 009 066).

Needless to say for the minimal amount I paid, there's no service history or receipts or anything else!! Where should I start looking for the missing power?

Thanks for any pointers

Dave

Jonmurgie

Well first thing I'd suggest is give the thing a good service, replace everything you can (plugs/leads/dizzy cap/dizzy arm/air filter/fuel filter/oil filter/oil) and see if that helps as it may be an ignition breakdown...

Anthony

If it really is struggling to do 75mph then it's clearly horrifically down on power, as even really tired 1.6's should manage a ton.

Compression check would be a good start to see if there's something wrong internally, and check the cam timing is correct and the belt hasn't jumped a tooth. Plenty of other things it could be, but those two would be a good starting place I'd say.

Dave_McC

Cheers - I'll give it a thorough service and check the cambelt is fitted correctly and that it hasn't jumped a tooth. Just need to sort out the dizzy first so I can move it again!

It has a K&N induction kit filter on it - with the filter behind the n/s headlight. The filter looks pretty manky. Can these be cleaned and if so how?

Dave

jonnie205

Yes i agree with anthony, cam and ignition timing is the first thing to check. If they are ok i would do compression check, no point in replacing loads of parts as it will almost certainly be low on compression or timed up wrong. Bear in mind though the 1.6s arent that quick anyway

Guest yaztromo

Clean it with compressed air or just wash it with a bowl of water.

Sign in to follow this