• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
allanallen

Airbrushing

allanallen

just got me an airbrush, thought it wood be a handy piece of kit for doin touch ups, and thought id have a go at some graphics just for fun!

has any one on hear got any tips ive read op alot of stuff on the net (all seams to be showing how 2 draw palm trees???) but need advice on what paint to use for work on a car

ive got a basic kit (gun bottle flexi hose) is there anything else i need? what preasure should i use my compresser be?

any recomended websites

k-bye

Rippthrough
just got me an airbrush, thought it wood be a handy piece of kit for doin touch ups, and thought id have a go at some graphics just for fun!

has any one on hear got any tips ive read op alot of stuff on the net (all seams to be showing how 2 draw palm trees???) but need advice on what paint to use for work on a car

ive got a basic kit (gun bottle flexi hose) is there anything else i need? what preasure should i use my compresser be?

any recomended websites

k-bye

Pressure depends mainly on your gun, but also on paint + viscosity, coverage + the effect you want when the paint lands. Practice is the only way for your particular style/brush I'm afraid. 30-50psi is the general area for home kits.

allanallen

its a draper one nice and cheep to get me goin but it has no instructions what so ever not even preasure settings?!

rippthrough, have you had experience or is that just common knowledge?

any idea what paint to use?

Edited by allanallen

Rippthrough
its a draper one nice and cheep to get me goin but it has no instructions what so ever not even preasure settings?!

rippthrough, have you had experience or is that just common knowledge?

any idea what paint to use?

Used to play around with one. Would it be one of those plastic draper £10 ones? Not much good for artwork I'm afraid, just about good enough for coating small objects.

I used to use smoothrite + decent thinners :wacko:

allanallen
Used to play around with one. Would it be one of those plastic draper £10 ones? Not much good for artwork I'm afraid, just about good enough for coating small objects.

I used to use smoothrite + decent thinners

s*it, that would be the one lol

Rippthrough
s*it, that would be the one lol

Not very good needles in them - tend to splatter the paint a little instead of getting a good spray pattern - be Ok if all you want to do is blow things over though.

hengti

single action or double action?

single's *much* easier to start out with. get rid if you've bought a double action

I'd just echo the 'just experiment' advice

Rippthrough
single action or double action?

single's *much* easier to start out with. get rid if you've bought a double action

I'd just echo the 'just experiment' advice

Personal preference - I found doubles to be easier to work with because I could deliver exactly what I wanted.

hengti

sounds as though you've the benefit of knowing what you're doing though ;)

sonofsam

Double action for me too .Old buddy of mine's father was MD @ Devillbis.

Got a top of the range for nowt ;)

Havnt used it for years though,its all in the wrist action :)

Cellulose and thinners for cars ??? I only used Gauche or Acrylic on card paper,Low tack masking film and scapels come in handy.

also masking fluid is good for a bit of artistic license.

Paintguy

Airbrushing is something I've always wanted to try out, but never go around to. I guess I'd be better off starting with a double action, since it'll be more like the spray guns I'm used to.

Does anyone have a recommendation? One that won't break the bank obviously, as I may not take to it as a hobby, but something that'll make a reasonable job of it whilst I'm learning.

sonofsam
Badger airbrushes would be my recomendation,not to sure on there current prices though. Edited by sonofsam

Paintguy

Cheers, I'll have a look around on there.

I've used one of their cheaper single action internal mix ones before, as well as a similar Paasche (sp?) one, but didn't find them very controllable. Perhaps I need to dig a little deeper into my pockets. After all, I'd think nothing of spending several hundred quid on a spray gun.

Rippthrough

Mine used to be a Badger - only problem was there was a little sticking on the paint flow control - apparently lots of them used to get it - solved with a strip down and a polish of the shaft ( :D ) .

sonofsam

Airbrushes..Magic when they function correctly,but a proper pain when they dont...

Hmm sounds familiar .

Sign in to follow this