• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
kate205gti

Running In A Rebuilt Block?

Banjo

Sorry just read my reply and I do sound a bit of a twat, but the mechs that i've spoken to have been race mechanics, but yes full throttle upto 4000/4500 is what im gona be doing as it makes sence with the rings and all :)

Kate I'd change the oil and filter and put some good quality 10/40 mineral in it and drive it normally from now on.

Ben

kate205gti

thanks banjo :) what about rev limit? when can i hit 6-7k? :D

Edited by kate205gti

huckleberry

I know there was a topic about this (more than one) earlier where a link was posted to a website claiming that running in gently wasn't the way to go. I don't want to say anything about it because I only had 1 new car which was my Seat Leon TDI and I don't give a s*it how I should run it in as the leasecompany will have to rebuild the engine if it blows :-)

But just to add to this thread; it seems there is no general excepted way, no exact science. But what are the things you do NOT want to do. What will surely destroy your engine?

kate205gti

you dont want to let the engine labour i know that much - although for how long until its safe im not sure about, same with idling - not good to let it idle until its done the first 100miles or so?

kate205gti

still need to know when i can go above 4k please? and by how much?

basically what do i need to do in order to take the car on track tomorrow please? :) :)

500 miles so far under 4k varying revs for first 3-400miles - another 2-300 to go on tonight and again tomorrow and some castrol gtx 10/40 to put in before i put it to bed tonight :D

Edited by kate205gti

Anthony

Start increasing the revs now and progressively get higher and higher over the next few hundred miles (say 5000rpm upto 600 miles, 5500 to 700 miles, 6000rpm to 800 miles and so on. By the time you get to track on Saturday, you should be able to give it death :)

Butler

Where are you going each night? :)

boombang

I remember Pete Faulker trying to run his in - he drove round and round Oxfordshire to put 1k miles on within a couple of days.

kate205gti

no idea! - my satnav broken lol :) picked up some wheels yesterday (went the scenic route!) and got stopped by police on the way too!

got to go pick up a car with a mate tonight and off to sunny somerset tomorrow :)

thankyou anthony :) will go up to 5.5 tonight then change the oil and go up to 6k on the way to somerset 2moz :D

i take it i dont need to keep varying revs while driving any more?? (ie: i can sit on motorways at constant revs now?)

cheers :P

Edited by kate205gti

Anthony
i take it i dont need to keep varying revs while driving any more?? (ie: i can sit on motorways at constant revs now?)

Yeah, that's fine - you can now cruise at constant revs without a problem :)

The reason you needed to vary the revs/load and not let it idle excessively was to bed the rings in, and that's now done to all intents and purposes.

Kitsune

I'll be having a good read of this thread once my newly picked up engine is in. Only diffence is its not just a bottom end rebuild, but new cams as well.

Think i'll have to knock up a 'I'm not slow, I'm just running it in' sticker for the back window!

kate205gti

its not the speed its the speeding up and slowing down all the time to vary the rev range that really p***es ppl off :lol:

Sandy

^^^^^Why not, Audi drivers seem to do it all the time, unless they've got cruise control. Don't ask me why! it's like groundhog moment, they slow, I overtake (I'm on cruise), they must think "ooh must overtake that inferior Honda thing", then they slow again etc, for miles. I digress!

you dont want to let the engine labour i know that much - although for how long until its safe im not sure about,

Never labour an engine at low rpm if you want it to last.

kate205gti
To bed in rings you ideally need short bursts of full throttle to generate high cylinder pressures and force the rings hard against the bore walls. The external load won't affect the cylinder pressures but it will affect how long and how quickly the car accelerates for. If you want to keep the rpm low but the cylinder pressure high for several seconds then you need a high gear or a hill. The load isn't to keep the cylinder pressures high, it's to stop the revs rising too fast.

hopefully ive done enough of that then - have been varying throttle pressure at least! :(

up to 800 miles now and another 200 to go in the morning and will have done 1,000 miles since wednesday evening - going back on my 10-a-day redbull habit for tomorrow to keep my eyes open :)

PumaRacing
hopefully ive done enough of that then - have been varying throttle pressure at least! :(

up to 800 miles now and another 200 to go in the morning and will have done 1,000 miles since wednesday evening - going back on my 10-a-day redbull habit for tomorrow to keep my eyes open :)

It was run in about 750 miles ago then. Anything that's been built even vaguely properly will have had all the high spots knocked off the components within the first hour or two of running. All that happens after that is friction levels gradually reduce a bit more as the bores glaze up. If engines needed 1000 miles of running in before you could give them death then F1 as a sport wouldn't exist because the engines would be knackered before they got to a race.

Running in is very simple. 15 minutes on the drive at 2500 rpm to bed in new cams if applicable. Then a few brief full throttle bursts in a high gear to bed the rings in hard. Finally 50 miles or two hours of gradually increasing throttle and rpm, chuck the cheap running in oil and filter, put in something better but still not a fully synthetic oil and drive as hard as you like. After 1000 miles swap to your long term oil once the bores are glazed up.

All you achieve by dicking around for hundreds of miles at low rpm on new bores is to put a wear ridge at a specific place at the top which will then still have to be smoothed over again when you use full rpm for the first time. In fact do that for too long and the ridge will break the top rings the first time you hit the redline. That's why 'one lady owner' cars which have only ever gone to Tescos and never been over 3k rpm sometimes go bang if you try to use them hard.

smckeown
That's why 'one lady owner' cars which have only ever gone to Tescos and never been over 3k rpm sometimes go bang if you try to use them hard.

I (well gav) has personal experience of this, wish I knew this before

Sean

Butler

Yep my bro bought a fiesta of my grandad that was like that. Had loads of engine and gerbox problems.

Sign in to follow this