• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
kate205gti

My Car Wont Start :(

kate205gti

am about to give up all hope of my car ever running at all this year!! its got one more chance before it gets made into a water feature but need help please?? :(

basically the car came off the road for a rebuild on the engine, which was done, engine back together, in the car with new gearbox and started up ok - got 5 mins up the road on its maiden voyage and it ate its clutch release bearing :(

this weekend have taken old gearbox off replaced clutch and release bearing and box with good ones and finished putting the car back together tonight - pushed it out of the workshop at 1am to take it home.. and its not starting!!

no sound at all not even a click, the starter motor wires are all attached as are the battery wires, we have lights, horn, indicators, fuel pump, etc.. but no power is getting to the engine :ph34r:

the car started fine on friday so i dont think it would be the starter - is there any way to check without taking it off the car?

and are there any wires/connectors under the dashboard/in the engine bay that would cause loss of power if ive knocked one?

any suggestions/advice much appreciated!

thanku :)

Edited by kate205gti

pug_ham

Does your car have the infamous brown multiplug? If it has & all the wiring goes into the car through the bulkhead near the steering column then there is one of the plug underneath the dash that feeds to the brown multi-plug , either of which if knocked would stop power getting to the starter solenoid.

When you say you have the fuel pump, is it constantly running when you have tried to start the car? If it is then the starter solenoid isn't getting the power it needs to kick it into action imo. Same thing happens on any 205 GTi when the solenoid wire comes off. No start but the fuel pump is running away happily as if the car were actually running.

You can check the starter has 12v dierct from the battery with a multimeter (even can be measured at the alternator which has easier access) by touching an earth & the ring terminal.

Where did you stand the battery whilst doing the clutch & gearbox etc over the weekend? On a concrete floor or a bench? The cold might've killed the battery (espeially if it was on concrete, should always store a battery off a concrete floor) & taken the required amps out but still have enough volts to work the lights, fuel pump etc.

It must be something simple imo, good luck.

Graham.

kate205gti

thanks graham :) i think ive still got a mulit-plug (is on tbs with an emerald ecu) so will hunt for that tonight - ive not got passenger from indicators either (not the bulb) so the wirings a bit screwy somewhere anyways

the battery was brand new on friday and has enough power to do lights,wipers, pump, etc..

the pump comes on with the ignition as per normal and stays on but the starter motor isnt even clicking!

the female spade connector on the starter is on ok - is that the solenoid wire??

i bought a multimeter!! :( but its stopped working after 5 mins :ph34r:

pug_life

lol your cursed kitty :ph34r:

are the earthing wires secure on the top of the gearbox??? simple i know but mine were loose and i had all sorts of trouble starting..

kate205gti

ive only got one earth wire that goes from the negative terminal to the top of the gearbox and thats secure :ph34r:

maxi

You should have one earth strap from the gear box to the negative battery terminal and one earth strap to the body of the car.....

Maxi

kate205gti

ahh cheers :) so connected on top of the gearbox should be two wires - one going to the negative terminal on the battery and one going to the body of the car?? would that stop the car working? :ph34r:

Dream Weaver

Possibly.

Try turning the ignition on, put it in neutral, then attach a wire from the battery +ve to the starter solenoid and see if it attempts to start, if not then the starter is buggered.

Anthony

Are you saying that the starter won't turn over Kate? If so, it's almost certainly your multi-connector block thing (the black one near the battery that all your sensor wires are running through).

The starter connection on that was playing stupid games when I was there last week cranking the engine over to prime the engine with oil - a quick reseat/wiggle sorted it out then, but clearly a more permenant fix is needed.

pug_life

yes theres two earthing wires kt.

if theres lots of crap in connection that can cause it as well...

does starter not click????

mbayley77

Blue wire (no 46) from multiplug to solenoid could be a good place to start looking.

Anthony
Blue wire (no 46) from multiplug to solenoid could be a good place to start looking.

I should point out here that the wiring on Kate's car is all non-standard and I'm guessing was re-wired when the Emerald was installed. The brown multiplug is no longer there and the sensor wiring no longer runs with the engine management loom - the starter solenoid and sensor wiring runs through a black multiplug that's between the slam panel and the battery, and that's where the problem lay when I had this exact problem with the car last week.

kate205gti

me and wiring dont go together :ph34r: have only set fire to it twice though :(

thankyou very much everyone :( will check all of that tonight - keep everything crossed for me! :)

205turbo

crank sender connected?

kate205gti

wasnt that this time paul! :o was a dodgy starter motor wire! :unsure:

thanks for all ur replies ;)

Sign in to follow this