• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Moys1.9

Symptoms Of Incorrect Timing?

Moys1.9

If the timing belt isn't right do the plugs get covered in fuel or get carbonated (if thats a word)? Probably sounds like a silly question but i'll ask anyway <_<

j_turnell

If the cam timing is out the car will run like a bag of s*ite, wont idle and generally very noticeable. If the plugs are black but everything seems ok, i.e running alright then its just overfueling, get it on a gas analyiser to get the CO level checked.

Moys1.9

Well its not been running for weeks now. We had it running by bump starting (wouldn't start by jumping it) twice last week. It had the head gasket done about 6 weeks ago and not had it running properly since. Everything to do with ignition has been replaced as we've been trying everything that give a misfire and poor running. A local mech took the plugs out this week which are all a few weeks old and only two of them were black <_< . He suggested the timing belt was a good place to start so we're havin a go on friday. Hopefully that'll be the problem. If it is I just hope I haven't done any damage to the engine by bumping it. When it has been running it has sounded like a bag of crap.

jonD6B

Stick a strobe on it and check the timing marks, also check the tensioner. After that a compression test wouldn't do any harm.

pugrallye

two black plugs...??? black with oil or carbon?

carbon would indicate incorrect mixture or non combustion (maybe leaking injectors if incorrect mixture) non combustion would be easily noticed by a misfire on two cylinders, prob wouldnt run at all!

stevec205gti

This may sound a bit obvious - but if you've replaced every single ignition component, you've not mixed up the plug leads on the dizzy have you?

The easy way to check the timing is to make sure that the holes in the crankshaft pulley and cam pulley still line up with their markers

Moys1.9

Cheers for the tips Guys.

The guy that did the gasket got the firing order wrong which was the first thing we sorted. Just hoping for good weather for Friday. Nothing worse than getting drenched whilst in the middle of something. Last time it snowed ;) . So hopefully Its just the timing. A friend told me that because with a bump it sort of ticked over that there shouldn't be any damage to the valves.

If its not the timing would the injectors be a good place to look next then?

Sign in to follow this