• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
hengti

Flapping Speedo ...

hengti

Just replaced my snapped cable with a Eurocarparts one

Needle now rock solid!

I've put up with a flicking needle ever since buying the car as I just thought it was a quirk!

Best tenner I've ever spent on the wretched thing

happy! ;)

if only my love life were as easy to figure out :D

jonarob

Have you got a link to the part mate?

Also perhaps describe how the hell I would replace it? :D

Cheers!

Jonmurgie

Nice one, though don't expect it to stay stable for too long!!

jonarob - all he's done is buy a new speedo cable and replace the one in the car, pretty simple job though a bit fiddly with the routing through the car and clipped onto the back of the speedo!

jonarob

Yeah thought so.

Link the part, though - I wanna do mine!

hengti

(for '91 1.9)

Eurocarparts part no 648735041

Doddle to fit (although I'm used to having to take my dash apart) :

- remove heater knobs/surround trim

- remove triangular bit of dash trim above coin tray

- remove coin tray

- undo all screws holding speedo binacle on - three of these might be a bit tricky : there is one on the lower right hand side of the binacle; and two more which screw into 'legs' under the binacle - you can access them from the underside of the steering column shroud

- remove binacle to expose instrument cluster : remove instruments by undoing the two screws - unplug the five multiplugs from the back (make a note of where they go for reassembly); unplug speedo cable from instruments

- jack car up, get underneath and locate speedo drive - pull the rubber pin out, then pull out speedo cable

- back in the engine bay, pull the ball grommet out of the bulkhead and remove cable from car

- reassembly is pretty much a straightforward reversal, but you might find you need to twist the cable a bit to get it back into the speedo drive and you might need to use some vaseline to encourage the ball grommet back into the bulkhead

If you've not done it before, I reckon it'd probably take the ave joe about an hour to figure it out and complete the job

net result = no more flapping!

enjoy!

Nice one, though don't expect it to stay stable for too long!!

Doomsayer!! ;):D

pacey205

It WILL start to wobble again trust me, the longer its used the heat from the manifold drys the cable out and it will begin to stick and wobble like it used to. I put grease in the new one I installed a while back and its OK so far. If it starts doing it again I will nip it off and oil it again.

RobbieG (I think) made an uber speedo cable with loads of heatshield on it but it cost him about £80 in the end. I wonder if exhaust heat wrap would have the same effect, would be alot cheaper.

Michael

Bonzai

is it absolutely neccasary to jack the car up to do this? (mines been permenantly borrowed :D)

Edp

Bonzai you can lean down and pull the black plug out which holds the speedo in place but can be a fudger to put back in.

I can also say I have now changed my speedo three times and the wobble always returns. Good luck with it though.

hengti

'thread from the dead'!

only very minor flicker from my speedo after a year; presumably it'll worsen to the state it was in before i renewed it but i'll likely be driving around in a TDi, smoking a pipe, by then

SaneMan
'thread from the dead'!

only very minor flicker from my speedo after a year; presumably it'll worsen to the state it was in before i renewed it but i'll likely be driving around in a TDi, smoking a pipe, by then

There is only 1 speedo on a 205 that won't ever flicker.

Oracles 100 quid one. He wrapped it in some kind of tape. Can't remember what though as

it was years ago.

GLPoomobile

There are plenty of heatshield products available that may do the trick, if you are prepared to pay the money. I'm thinking in particular of the long thin sleeves designed for cabling.

sonofsam

Has anyone tried tin foil as a cheap solution to heatshielding? or Aluminium Foil Tape.

For a Hundred notes, I'd go digital ;)

Bonzai

what am i doing wrong then. ive got the binnacle out, its disconnected both ends (was snapped at the binnacle end anyway)

Im struggling like mad to pull the cable through wherever its routed on top of the steering column. this looks like its going to be a right bitch to feed it back up there....? Is there something else i can take off to make this easier?

welshpug

which way are you trying to remove it? IIRC when I did mine it was fed from the engine bay, and I had to wiggle my hands into the depths of the dash to guide it first time I tried, didnt the second time though

anyone tired a 405 cable yet? just wondering if the extra 100mm is enough to keep it away from the heat source.

Bonzai

first off i tried pulling it up out through the dash, but the rubber gromet thing stopped that. so then i pulled all the engine bay section into the footwell and tried pulling the rest of it down through the dash along the steering column and into the footwell. I just discovered the foam insulation bit was catching on something which was preventing movement, so i still havent got it out. Think i could pull my hair out easier than this cable :blush:

welshpug

lol, I pulled it all into the engine bay.

Bonzai

got it out by pulling all the foam insulation off, cant get the new one in for the life of me. someone remind me why ive still got this bloody car

Bonzai

sorted now. some bloody sparky tw@t had fitted an electronics box for a crappy old alarm system on top of the steering column which was right in the path for the routing of the speedo cable and with it in position, was very much like getting a square peg into a round hole situation.

Edp
anyone tired a 405 cable yet? just wondering if the extra 100mm is enough to keep it away from the heat source.

Makes no difference. I don't think its all the speedos fault. When these cars where new they wouldn't have done it then. I reckon the gearbox drive and the binnacle age and wear out.

Edited by Edp

C_W

My speedo's fine though I do have a heat shield covering it and the heater pipes since fitting an Mi16 engine.

To fit the speed cable you can remove and refit by removing the lower tray under the dash; there is a small gap where it's possible to cut your hands to shreds through the small hole through the steering column or use long nose pliers to guide it in.

sonofsam

Sorry to bring this up again, but I thought it might be worth mentioning :ph34r:

Going to fit a new speedo cable this morning with the cable I bought off ebay,

came in a genuine pug bag and was listed as for a 309GTI.

Just opened it first time this morning, and noticed the cable already

has some sort of heat sheilding sleeve on it, looks like it was part of the manafacturing process?

Anyone seen this before?

DSC00150.jpg

djinuk

ive got this problem 2 , its so anoying. is there anyway of sorting it out ?

matty_gti
'thread from the dead'!

Do you have to take the dials out and/or the dash surrounding the dials to replace the speedo cable?

Bonzai

yep, afraid you do

Sign in to follow this