• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
SamGTi

Final Suspension Setup Decision

SamGTi

Right, after lots of 'umming and arring' about what the best setup to get for my GTi on a VERY limited budget, I have decided to get -40mm Ventura springs (as used in Bilstein kit), group N top mounts and then get the rear beam lowered to match. Does anybody know enough about these parts to say a definite 'NO' and change my mind (again!)?

It seems that the group N top mounts make the suspension sit around 5mm higher than OE ones so with the -40mm springs, I should have the car lowered around -35mm which, after numerous searches on here, should give the best all round setup for looks and handling.

So unless anybody tells me a better setup for the money, I will go with this! Comments please!

pug_ham

Which Bilstein kit?

The street line rear shockers (cheapest kit) have had some bad reports on here as being to soft & the original ones are better.

Graham.

TEKNOPUG

Don't get the Ventura springs. Most people use either Eibach or SBC springs when fitting the Bilstein kits. The standard Bilstein springs aren't highly regarded.

Butler

Change the rear beam mounts while your at it. OEM or Group N.

SamGTi

I am not fitting the Bilstein kit, just the Ventura springs which come with it (and which can be bought seperately). I have OE shocks on at the moment so they are good enough for what I use it for. Where can I get SBC springs from then? Website?

And Butler, you say to change the rear beam mounts 'while I am at it' but surely the rear beam doesn't come off to lower it? I thought they just lowered it whilst still on the car? I do have plans to fit solid mounts at a later date btw.

Edited by SamGTi

petert

save your money and just get the std. GTi springs reset 40mm lower.

pug_ham
I am not fitting the Bilstein kit, just the Ventura springs which come with it (and which can be bought seperately). I have OE shocks on at the moment so they are good enough for what I use it for. Where can I get SBC springs from then? Website?

And Butler, you say to change the rear beam mounts 'while I am at it' but surely the rear beam doesn't come off to lower it? I thought they just lowered it whilst still on the car? I do have plans to fit solid mounts at a later date btw.

SBC don't have a website currently but they can be contacted on 01829-720492.

The rear beam doesn't need dropping at all to lower it or completely just to change the rear sandwich mounts, I'd fit group N though if you are replaciung them.

Graham.

Anthony

It's also worth bearing in mind that when you come to lower the beam, you might unearth a whole can of worms if the seals/bearings/shafts are on their way out...

Simes

Basically budget in a beam rebuild.

Butler

"While your at it", as in while your trying to improve your suspension setup.

But agreed, you may need a beam rebuild also.

How do you reset standard springs to 40mm lower?

allanallen

YEAH how do you reset standard springs?????????

Anthony
YEAH how do you reset standard springs?????????

There's only one way I know of, and that involves an angle grinder and a whole heap of bad practice... :)

TEKNOPUG

Or the use of some clamps :)

SamGTi

So basically, unless I can afford to put a few things right that could go wrong, I should just stick with my current setup which isn't too bad at the moment! (I have had a replacement rear beam which looks and feels in good condition anyway). I might just leave my suspension in the mildly uprated form that it's in then. Afterall, even a standard 205 handles better than most other road cars out there! Thank you all for your advice (again!)

pug_ham
So basically, unless I can afford to put a few things right that could go wrong, I should just stick with my current setup which isn't too bad at the moment! (I have had a replacement rear beam which looks and feels in good condition anyway).
Basically yes, even if you have a beam which seems Ok it might be worth spending £60 on it for all the bits that are worth replacing now (bearings & seals) rather than letting it go beyond an economical repair & cost £300+ for a properly rebuild one with everything replaced.

Its not hard to do & if you want I could do it for you in a day (as long as the radius arm shafts aren't beyond repair) if you brought your car over to me for a little extra & lower it at the same time. Drop me a pm if you're interested.

Graham.

jonD6B
Don't get the Ventura springs. Most people use either Eibach or SBC springs when fitting the Bilstein kits. The standard Bilstein springs aren't highly regarded.

Which of the Bilstein springs aren't highly regarded? The Streetline or the Sprintline or just Bilstein springs in general? :)

Simes
Which of the Bilstein springs aren't highly regarded? The Streetline or the Sprintline or just Bilstein springs in general? :)

The streetline kit is poor, I binned the springs without trying them and the rear shocks are a joke.

kenan

What about the Sprintline springs guys? got the kit on order due to be fitted next week and will get the SRB springs if required

Sign in to follow this