• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest smokinslim

Clutch Cable Perhaps?

Guest smokinslim

;) My car has over the past week or so developed a light grinding sound, as if something is spinning and lightly brushing something else at the same time. It only seems to be when i depress the clutch pedal, or is much more apparent anyway. Is this a sign that the clutch cable has stretched?

Last time i tried to adjust the cable it had rusted bad and wouldn't budge, that was about a year ago. Clutches aren't something i've had much to but i don't like using garages and can't afford the costs at the minute so it'll have to be a steep learning curve if it is that.

Any ideas on this would be greatly appreciated.

allanallen

release bearing

Rippthrough

Sounds like the release bearing.

Could also be the rubbers on the end of the clutch cable where it attaches to the arm - this gave ours a spinning/squealing noise for a few weeks until we realised what it was and put some vaseline on them.

Guest smokinslim

Thanx. I'll grease the rubbers tomorrow then, see if that helps. Don't wanna take the gearbox off unless i really have to. I'd best start reading just in case tho.

Edited by smokinslim

Guest smokinslim

Right, i've just read eveything i could find on the forum regarding TU release bearings. All the symptoms suggest that it could quite possibly be the bearing, except for this one; It seems that the worse the bearing gets the lower down the biting point is on the pedal, my biting point couldn't be any higher! Who needs a quickshift when you barely need touch the pedal, sometimes you can slip out of gear with just the lever, no pedal. It's been this way since i've had the car.

Anyway i'm confident that if the box has to come off then i know how to go about it, just want to be certain of what needs sortin before i start if possible.

Off to get some more oil now so i can rule that out.

Guest smokinslim

I've now topped up the oil and greased the rubbers on the cable, the noise doesn't seem to be as loud but its still apparent, any more ideas anyone?

Guest smokinslim

Just a quick note to say thanx for the help with this problem.

It was the release bearing, proper fecked it was too: clicky

Rippthrough
Just a quick note to say thanx for the help with this problem.

It was the release bearing, proper fecked it was too: clicky

Wher, I can't see anythihng wrong with it :)

Sign in to follow this