• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ajones12

Gearbox Oil Filling

ajones12

After reifitting my gearbox after a clutch change I need to fill it back up with oil. Thing is a) where does it go and :) from the Haynes manual it seems like the oil is the same for gearbox and engine - is this right.

My car is a 'H' plate 1.9GTi in standard fettle - is this a BE3 or BH3 gearbox?

kate205gti

undo the 19mm bolt on the gearbox under the passenger wheel arch, keep the car level and you should be able to fit 2litres in if it was totally drained, or just fill it till it comes back out :)

edit: oil is definately not the same - you'll need 75/80 gearbox oil or similar from halfords or any motor factors - gearbox oil smells like dead dogs, engine oil doesnt

box is a BE3 (reverse under 5th)

Edited by kate205gti

ajones12

Cheers Kate - can you fill the car up whilst on its wheels, i.e. level or do I need to jack it up?

C_W
- gearbox oil smells like dead dogs, engine oil doesnt

:)

(Normally it's used gearbox oil that smells bad isn't it? new oil tends to smell normal to me)

pug_ham

A H reg GTi should have a BE3, like kate said.

The BH gearbox is fitted to the lower spec 205's than the GTi.

There is a breather on the top of the gearbox in the engine bay that I remove to fill the gearbox with two litres of oil, that way it can be done on the wheels & you don't need to jack it to work in the passenger wheel arch.

If you have the standard intake system you need to remove quite a bit of it so jackingthe car to get into the wheel arch is easier. Jack the car, remove the wheel & then lower it slightly so the car is sat level & fill it through the fill/level hole. It takes a while this way & can be messy.

Graham.

Redtop

Also don't loose the wee plastic breather ontop of the nut. It comes out easily and can be miss placed easily

hengti
;)

(Normally it's used gearbox oil that smells bad isn't it? new oil tends to smell normal to me)

love the smell of fresh gear oil - reminds me of machine shops

almost as good as the smell of a burnt Castrol R! :)

ajones12

Cheers Graham - thanks for the advice.

Simmy

I find graham (pugtorque)'s method much easier (especially with a K&N), though in this case the onus is on you to put in only 2litres, filling from the side as kate said means you physically can't put too much oil in.

pacey205

I fill it from the side point and use an old 1litre garbox oil container and a length of pipe that fits into the bolt hole as a header type system which works really well, also means you dont need to jack the car up just get in behind the wheel to remove the bolt. I normally prop the filler bottle up by the header tank/battery where you can balance it.

Michael

Edited by pacey205

kyepan

i've got loads of 75w80 spare in the garage, would this be a suitable replacement oil, or cause problems?

kate205gti

thats fine as long as its not too old :wacko:

kyepan
thats fine as long as its not too old :wacko:

its a few years old, maybe 4... but its never been opened. unipart stuff. ta

Justin.

Sign in to follow this