• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
kate205gti

Help Please

kate205gti

Ive been finishing plumbing my mi in today - nearly there rad went in and all the hoses and wiring all done.. only the oil cooler wouldnt fit on because of a sticky out bit on the new sump:

was ground off the old block

block4jg.jpg

so i got angus out and buzzed it off.. and forgot to block the inlet ports!!! :o:(:(

26020620my.jpg

whats the best way of getting the dust out? was going to try a hoover and compressed air can thing (for cleaning pootas) tomorrow - does it matter if i cant get it all out? (ie: will it blow out??), anything more i can do??

any help/advice appreciated, i already know not to be such a twat next time :(

dee205

Blow all the s*it away so nothing is gonna come between the valve and the seat.

If it's only small particles then you should get away with it.

I've got the fingers crossed for you!

Damien

Alastairh

Well i suppose a powerful vacume cleaner with a flexi head would be your best bet.

Depends how big the chunks of "dust" are.

ashley peddle

you were cutting directly below so fingers crossed the none went inside - wouldnt have thought has gone in there as most sparks fly to the side (the angle of the ports in relation to where you were cutting should have prevented bits from doing inside the engine)

Baz
:( Sorry, shouldn't laugh! :o easily done. As Ash says hopefully not alot, if any's got down there but, take your time and pick out, if you can, with your fingers(!) any visble bits, and try a good hoover thing. What i've found best for things of a similar nature in the past, if u have one, those magneticly enhanced picky uppy contraption thingys, try one of those if you can get you're hands on one, usually quite small so can get to where your digits can't!! Hope you can sort it and it'll be OK. Fingers crossed. :(

RichE

I doubt the tins of compressed air will have enough ooomphh.

If I were you I would hook up an air gun to a compressor, and BLAST IT! :(

Anthony

I dunno, already trying to break that engine and you've not even started it yet :(

I doubt too much dust has gone into the inlet, so hopefully you'll be alright. Making sure that the inlet valve is closed, a hoover and some compressed air should blow the worst of it out and a few tiny specs shouldn't hurt anything. For the cylinders that have the inlet valves open, you've need to stick a socket on the large crank pulley and turn the engine over half a turn.

More of a worry is did you block off the oil filter mount and the filler/breather holes on the bottom of the block? Much more likely to have got alloy dust/fragments in there with the proximity of where you were cutting, and that's not really so clever as that'll end up in the sump and from there onto play havoc with your bearings...

d-9

So it might be worth filling it with oil and then doing an oil change without running it to try and wash the s*it out of the sump?

ashley peddle

no point in trying to make her feel worse :(

Edited by ashley peddle

kate205gti

anthony - cheers for the comments :(

doug - thanku :o will try that

ash - u werent making the mistakes - u were nowhere near the car! and dont try and sound like u know stuff when doug just told u that :(

Alastairh

Lol,

U got much more stuff to fit, before shes running?

ashley peddle

meh

Edited by ashley peddle

kate205gti

ive just got the inlet mani and fluids to do :) everything else is sorted (as long as it all works!) - just dont want to put the mani on till i clear all the dust out :(

plus i was knackered when i was finishing it yesterday - been at it all weekend - so i want to double-check it all before i turn the key for the first time!

fingers crossed for it running tomorrow though :)

Alastairh

Wahey, i have my thingers crossed.

Anthony
So it might be worth filling it with oil and then doing an oil change without running it to try and wash the s*it out of the sump?

It depends whether anything went into the filter/filler/breathers or not. Probably the easiest way to get a rough idea Kate is to poke a clean finger into the above and wipe around all the surfaces you can reach that alloy dust/swarf might have settled. If your finger comes out looking like you've stuck it in a pot of glitter then that's bad, but if it comes out clean and you can't see any metal particles then you'll probably be OK and carry on as normal - you'll need to flush the oil after about 20-30 miles anyway as they'll be a fair amount of metal from where the rings/liners/bearings etc bed in, so the odd spec or two won't do any harm.

If it does look like there's metal dust/swarf inside the sump, then before you follow Doug's advice, it would be worth trying to get as much out whilst the inside of the engine is still degreased and oil-free. If you get a small vacuum and tape a long thin flexible pipe to the end, you can then use this to initially poke inside the breather/filler and (if small enough) the filter mount as well. Then, remove the sump plug and poke it in there aiming at the front side of the sump around the area of the filter/filler/breather - the inside of the sump was all degreased, so anything in there shouldn't "cling" to the insides like it will when there's an oily film in there.

Flushing the oil through should remove anything that's left after that, but better trying to remove what you can prior to oil going in there. Hopefully nothing will have got in there, but I felt it best to point out the potential so that you can check it and clean accordingly...

base-1

Make sure youre filters are fitted if you run it up in the pig shed, otherwise your exhaust will blow-up a lot of dust etc etc

Tom (P_r)

kate205gti

cheers tom :) will take them down 2moro then!

d-9

Just thought theres no point trying to pick up the swarf with a magnet because its an ally sump.

Baz

Presumed the bracket itself was steel? therefore a magnet would pick up the swarf.

d-9

Assuming its the same as my mi sump, the bracket is part ofthe sump, and its all a bit of cast ally.

Banjo

Just leave the oil cooler off, not really needed with ally sump anyway and is more pipes to mess with.

Ben

Sign in to follow this