• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Johnski

205 Rear Windscreen Problem!

Guest Johnski

Just a quick question,

My rear windscreen is always clouded, and no i dont mean when i'm driving, its constantly clouded whatever the weather conditions are outside.

i'm assuming there must be moisture getting in somewhere, perhaps the seals around the window need replaced?

Theres no signs of any obvious leaks anywhere. The worst about it is that my de mister doesnt work....lol, is it a simple case of changin the fuse and if that doesnt work replace the switch?

Thanks

Johnski

number2301

Is that condensation on the inside? If its that, I had it on my front windscreen and was just told to leave the windows open on a warm day to let the water evapourate out.

jonarob

Fill a 2 litre bottle with boiling water and hang it above a bucket inside your car. Might have to trap some string in your sunroof?

Leave it a few hours and all of the moisture in your car will condense on the bottle and drip into the bucket.

easypug
Fill a 2 litre bottle with boiling water and hang it above a bucket inside your car. Might have to trap some string in your sunroof?

Leave it a few hours and all of the moisture in your car will condense on the bottle and drip into the bucket.

You should send that in for the back of Nuts magazine.

Check that the conections on both sides of the window are connected, if they are check the window to see if theres any breaks in the heating element.

Paintguy

I'm not trying to be funny, but you do mean clouded with condensation don't you?

Guest Johnski
I'm not trying to be funny, but you do mean clouded with condensation don't you?

Yes...and to clarify i mean that the rear windscreen is constantly clouded with condensation, and not just on warm days, which makes me think there is obviously a problem with the seals...

thanks for the advice on the bucket solution....why didnt i think of that before. :)

And i know that the demister removes condesation for the wannabe comedians out there.

Paintguy

I was just checking, as I've seen plenty of car that have had tinting film removed, and the glue left behind gives a coudy, condensation-like appearance :)

It definately sounds like you've got water in the car somewhere. Try lifting the carpets to see if the soundproofing is wet.

Common problems seem to be heater matrix' leaking, or the boot and back light seals letting water in.

Guest Johnski
I was just checking, as I've seen plenty of car that have had tinting film removed, and the glue left behind gives a coudy, condensation-like appearance :)

It definately sounds like you've got water in the car somewhere. Try lifting the carpets to see if the soundproofing is wet.

Common problems seem to be heater matrix' leaking, or the boot and back light seals letting water in.

No probs, think it may be that, just posted the thread as i thought it may have been a common problem that other people had encountered before....

Checked tonihgt and there is some condensation on the boot floor...may be that the boot seal needs replaced....

pug_ham

Lift the back seat bases, you might find the bottom of them soaking wet & a rusty patch that used to be the shell above the tank. :)

Check the boot lock as a target for allowing water intot the car if the window seal is OK. New seals are less than £10 from peugeot, I've yet to fit mine but I need a second pair of hands to help so I don't smash the screen accidentally. Take the boot lock barrel out & put some silicone sealant around it when you refit it to help it seal properly.

The seals for the opening rear side windows can often be the source of a waterleak.

Graham.

Simes
The seals for the opening rear side windows can often be the source of a waterleak.

Graham.

They do and on a phase 2 car you can't see the water trickle in as the trim covers it. By lifting the seats as Graham says will reveal all.

You can replace the seals as I have, although they aren't cheap but they'll make your car a lot dryer.

Guest Johnski
Lift the back seat bases, you might find the bottom of them soaking wet & a rusty patch that used to be the shell above the tank. :(

Check the boot lock as a target for allowing water intot the car if the window seal is OK. New seals are less than £10 from peugeot, I've yet to fit mine but I need a second pair of hands to help so I don't smash the screen accidentally. Take the boot lock barrel out & put some silicone sealant around it when you refit it to help it seal properly.

Graham.

Thanks graham....

Guest Johnski
They do and on a phase 2 car you can't see the water trickle in as the trim covers it. By lifting the seats as Graham says will reveal all.

You can replace the seals as I have, although they aren't cheap but they'll make your car a lot dryer.

Checked underneath the seats today and there is a lot of water that has gathered there......should i replace all the seals in the rear windowns and put silicone around the boot lock as suggested?

I doesnt seem to be coming from the rear window, the boot floor is also quite wet....

help ;)

GLPoomobile

You need to concentrate on the boot then. Not much to check.

Firstly, check the actual boot door seal is in good condition. If it looks fine (no tears etc) then try removing it, squirting silicone sealant in the gap and refitting it. Then check the catch is adjusted correctly so the door closes tightly. If it is loose when closed then you need to undo the two bolts that hold the lock catch onto the boot cross member and adjust the position of the catch until you can close it tightly.

Make sure you have the rear washer jet (or a blanking grommet) fitted and it is water tight, as this can let water into the boot door, which then gets into the boot.

Check the rear wiper motor spindle has the necessary washers fitted.

That's about it in terms of anything that will let significant amounts of water in. You could also check that all the grommets are in place in the boot floor and that the rear washer bottle is not leaking.

Guest Johnski
You need to concentrate on the boot then. Not much to check.

Firstly, check the actual boot door seal is in good condition. If it looks fine (no tears etc) then try removing it, squirting silicone sealant in the gap and refitting it. Then check the catch is adjusted correctly so the door closes tightly. If it is loose when closed then you need to undo the two bolts that hold the lock catch onto the boot cross member and adjust the position of the catch until you can close it tightly.

Make sure you have the rear washer jet (or a blanking grommet) fitted and it is water tight, as this can let water into the boot door, which then gets into the boot.

Check the rear wiper motor spindle has the necessary washers fitted.

That's about it in terms of anything that will let significant amounts of water in. You could also check that all the grommets are in place in the boot floor and that the rear washer bottle is not leaking.

Thanks, this must have happened over a long period of time as the puddle under the seats was quite large ;)

It seems to be originating from the boot lock....i'll try the things you suggested, its just a case of dismantling and rebuilding the boot lock and the rear wipper more or less then....

I'll get cracking!!

Simes

Check the sound proofing on the boot floor first for dampness or remove it to make sure that's where it's leaking - seeing if there is a puddlw left behind.

Hose around the rear passenger windows also, these shrink you see allowing water in also.

casnell

Mine ws leaking around the water squirty thing.

Guest Az_GTi

Damn sorry to hear the problems your having mate. Couple of years ago I bought a 1.6 and I knew it leaked because it was condesated on all windows, but was a giveaway price! I was very thorough when looking round the car and upon lifting up the backseats the guy selling had put a half filled bottle of water in there - made to look like it was leaking. YEH RIGHT PULL THE OTHER ONE MATE.

Bought it anyway and half an hour with the silcone sorted things out nicely :) Just had to drive around for ages with heaters on full blast trying to dry everything out lol

Guest Johnski

Just to add to the mix...does water come in around the quarter panel badges?

pug_ham
Just to add to the mix...does water come in around the quarter panel badges?
It shouldn't do imo.

If it did would it even make its way under the rear seat or just sit in the bottom of the outer panel rotting it through?

Graham.

Sign in to follow this