• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
joni

1.9 8v Skimmed Head - Which Gasket?

joni

Got an 1.9 205 8v which i'm carrying out a budget rebuild on the engine at the mo. If oyu got any tips for parts i should change or upgrade while doing the job please suggest. I have a new cambelt, all gaskets, tensioner, all shells, rings, head bolts.

Was thinking of replacing the water pump. How much are they and should i bother if theres no play in the one i've taken off?

The head has been skimmed at some stage ( i can tell because the head gasket is thicker than standard) and is in good nick. I don't think i need it skimmed again btu was wondering about the choice of gasket. Surely a skimmed head gasket being tenths of a mm thicker is not gonna have a big difference over a standard thickness of gasket? Will it be worth fitting a standard gasket and gettting the extra compression? I calculated an overall loss of around 10-15cc (this may be slightly wrong as it was a while ago when i thought about it) over all four cylinders by fitting a standard head gasket as opposed to a thick gasket.

Any ideas?

PumaRacing
Got an 1.9 205 8v which i'm carrying out a budget rebuild on the engine at the mo. If oyu got any tips for parts i should change or upgrade while doing the job please suggest. I have a new cambelt, all gaskets, tensioner, all shells, rings, head bolts.

Was thinking of replacing the water pump. How much are they and should i bother if theres no play in the one i've taken off?

The head has been skimmed at some stage ( i can tell because the head gasket is thicker than standard) and is in good nick. I don't think i need it skimmed again btu was wondering about the choice of gasket. Surely a skimmed head gasket being tenths of a mm thicker is not gonna have a big difference over a standard thickness of gasket? Will it be worth fitting a standard gasket and gettting the extra compression? I calculated an overall loss of around 10-15cc (this may be slightly wrong as it was a while ago when i thought about it) over all four cylinders by fitting a standard head gasket as opposed to a thick gasket.

Any ideas?

The standard 1.9 needs higher compression anyway so the last thing you want is a thick gasket. Std gasket and 0.75mm skim is what I do to all my std rebuilds.

Sign in to follow this