• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest shayler14

1.9 Gti Fuel Consumption And Starting Problems

Guest shayler14

Hello all,

I own a 1990 (G) sorrento green 1.9 gti with 54k on the clock, but it is having a few problems! (surprise)! I'm only getting about 200 miles off a tank of fuel (50 litres), which seems rather low (i used to get 300 - 350 miles from previous 1.6's). This seems to be regardless of whether i put my foot down or not!

Starting from cold, the car is really lumpy as well, sounds almost as though it's missing a spark plug, but after a minute, it runs fine and after a couple of minutes, the revs settle to just under 1000 constant (i could never get this on the 1.6's)

I'm completely stuck as to what it could be! It drives fairly well when going, but a little heavy on the fuel and worried doing damage from the cold starts! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Anthony

For the poor fuel economy, do a search as it's been covered lots - ECU temp sensor would be my first port of call for economy that bad though, as when they fail the ECU runs in constant "cold start enrichment" mode and hence gives terrible fuel economy.

Lumpy cold starts where the engine seems to run on 3 cylinders, especially in this cold weather, is reasonably common on 8v Jetronic cars. All manner of things can cause or contribute to this, and sometimes you can't eliminate it completely. Again, a search should reveal lots of information on the subject.

Sign in to follow this