• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Eryl1.9Gti

Noisy Speedo

Eryl1.9Gti

Right, its 6am i get into the car start it up and start to move off.

AS soon as i hit 5ish mph (it sounds like the speedo) a tickin noise starts then as speed getts higher the tickin getts faster untill whn at 60 it turns into a whirr.

Then after 10 or so mins it dissapears??!?!?!

WTF??

Is the speedo just going to die at any moment, or is this just another 205 thing.

jochem

Its probalby going to die pretty soon.

How does it react to short bursts of throttle?

GLPoomobile

Does the needle jump up and down? Sounds like a dry speedo cable but no idea why it stops when warm!

C_W

Mine has done this a couple of years ago too when it was cold, sounded like a ball bearing rattling when doing about 60ish and would occassionally flick up to 100mph. It seemed to stop doing it after a couple of months as I didn't change anything (clocks or cable).

Eryl1.9Gti

yeah clock flicks around and does junp tp 90ish sometimes when doing 60.

Needle Jumps around (like house of pain lol oh someone stop me!!!) Constantly untill the car is warm.

With burst of throttle its fine

BUt as C_W says its like a single smartie being shaken in the tube.

Its really anoying as i have no stereo due to the scum of cardiff deciding that they needed it more than me FU*KING C*NTS. So its driving me crazy, well for 10 - 15 mins anyhow.

Guest smokinslim

Possibly not the same problem but this may help;

My speedo use to flick about quite a bit, not really predictable. Turned out the cable was a little loose on the back. Where the cable plugs onto the speedo, the plastic pin in the centre (square section one) can become a bit rounded. I basically put a minute blob of bluetak on the end of the pin, reconnected, problem gone.

Had an annoying ticking noise for a bit too, one of the numbers on the odometer had slipped down lower than the rest and jammed the mechanism, the clicking was the sound of the odometer not going round. Saved me a few miles but did my head in. Pushed it back into place and it's been fine since.

Eryl1.9Gti

Cheerz will have a look at the back when i go home for easter dont have much room to do stuff here in uni.

eddie_1.9

My old mini had what i thought was a ticking speedo cable so i ignored it for ages. Turned out it was the front wheel bearing! ooops :) it was a long time ago tho..

Edited by eddie_1.9

Pug_sport

Mine did this. It is to do with the reset button mech and the way it works. You will find that if you try to reset the mileage it possibly wont work properlly.

You have the option of taking the clocks apart and fiddling until you fix it or break it more or do what i did and get on ebay and buy another set of clocks.

Mine is fine now, no noise or rattles.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/peugeot-205-gti-cloc...1QQcmdZViewItem

C_W
Mine did this. It is to do with the reset button mech and the way it works. You will find that if you try to reset the mileage it possibly wont work properlly.

You have the option of taking the clocks apart and fiddling until you fix it or break it more or do what i did and get on ebay and buy another set of clocks.

Mine is fine now, no noise or rattles.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/peugeot-205-gti-cloc...1QQcmdZViewItem

Oh yea! That does sound familiar, sometimes it wouldn't reset (say when I'd just been to the petrol station) but I found that keeping pressure on it whilst driving did let it rest, but it seems to have cured itself now.

Sign in to follow this