• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Baz

205 Diesel To Petrol Conversion

Baz

Always wondered about about finding a good condition very late STDT(GTi spec shell?) and converting it to a petrol, not one for the purists but fancy a 'P' reg 'GTi'!! I know the clocks will need to be changed but not so sure about the tank and lines etc, and any other bits and bobs that would be needed or just recommended? Has anyone done this before? :P

Anthony

It's perfectly plausable to do, but an awful lot of work for something that you could buy (abeilt a couple of years older). As far as I'm aware, the last STDT's were on an L reg - the 205's that went upto P or R reg were all based on a base-model shell.

Easiest and cheapest way to do the conversion is to buy a crashed GTi, as alot of parts will need swapping - tank/fuel lines, quite a bit of wiring, obviously engine/box, management and ignition, and the suspension would need uprating as well as it's a bit high and roly-poly on STDT's. Oh, and the interior as well unless you like OAP beige...

Alot of STDT's suffer from Phase 2 rot and dodgy lacquer as well, and the two colours they came in are pretty rare so replacement panels aren't easily obtainable. Same with Gentry's (also based on a GTi shell)

notamondayfan

seems like a hell of a lot of work, to end up with a standard gti at the end of the day. all the time and effort spent could b put to better use.

ie, by a gti, and make it mint. replace anything thats shagged. take it down 2 a bare shell, and work from there, but this way, ull already have the essentials.

if u bought a crashed 205, u wont be able 2 use everything off it (because its been crashed!) ie bumpers, lights, etc.

personally i jus think its a pointless exercise, for no gain at all other than an L reg 205.

look around all ull find nice gti's.

Baz

Basically i have a '91 GTi with body damage, :blush: needs a re-shell, so i thought try an find a later one, as it probably has a better chance of being a clean one, and i know that the STDT is a GTi spec shell anyway. But, after all this, I have found another '91 GTi, only someone's put a DERV lump in it!! so i'd still want to convert it back, this would be easier as it was/is an original GTi! :D

Anthony
But, after all this, I have found another '91 GTi, only someone's put a DERV lump in it!! so i'd still want to convert it back, this would be easier as it was/is an original GTi! :blush:

This the Miami Blue one that was/is on eBay per-chance? Thought that was very strange indeed why they went to all that hassle to install a non-turbo diesel lump in there... :D

notamondayfan

umm truely strange! must have been a tight fisted farmer (using red diesel)!!

anywho,

im still sticking wiv my origional post of jus buy a gti. as for the 91 gti uve got, it wud b ideal for spares once uve stripped it down. u cud even get an earlier model gti, and swap the engines so u still have the better 1.9 engine.

allanallen

if you convert it to petrol will you have to put a cat on it? being newish.

notamondayfan

would it need an emmisions test at MOT time being 15 yrs old?

Baz
umm truely strange! must have been a tight fisted farmer (using red diesel)!!

anywho,

im still sticking wiv my origional post of jus buy a gti. as for the 91 gti uve got, it wud b ideal for spares once uve stripped it down. u cud even get an earlier model gti, and swap the engines so u still have the better 1.9 engine.

Yes, the blue one, it stumped me a bit too as to why u'd put a diesel in it!! and, sorry? what 1.9? the '91 is a 1.6. Main reason i would be after that particular one is as it's a non-sunny. :wacko:

if you convert it to petrol will you have to put a cat on it? being newish.

Nope, all pre '92 cars don't have to have one. :wacko:

would it need an emmisions test at MOT time being 15 yrs old?

Yes, as they all do, although if left as a Diesel would be a smoke test! But even if i did change it back to petrol i still don't see the prob.? -all cars have Emission test at MOT. :rolleyes:

notamondayfan

not all cars do. mines a 1989 model and its never been tested fo emmisions. im nearly sure its anythingthing older than 1991 doesnt have 2 have one.

imagine all the classic cars that wud fail an MOT on emmisions.

Baz

Sorry i thought they did, but have a higher passable limit for older cars? probably wrong tho,usually am, there's probably a tester on here somewhere that will tell us!!

Anthony
Sorry i thought they did, but have a higher passable limit for older cars? probably wrong tho,usually am, there's probably a tester on here somewhere that will tell us!!

Non-CAT tests are as follows, according to a quick Google...

• First used before 1/8/1975 - Visual test only. Failure for excess idle speed, dense blue or black smoke for 5 seconds at idle or during acceleration up to 2500rpm or half engine max speed whichever lowest.
  • First used between 1/8/75 and 31/7/86 - meter test CO <=4.5%, HC<=1200ppm.
  • First used between 1/8/86 and 31/7/92 - meter test CO<=3.5%, HC<=1200ppm.

Sign in to follow this