• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ashley peddle

Had A Go At 'diamond Cutting'

ashley peddle

ok so there by no means perfect but i thought i would give it a bash... an idea that has been hatching in my head for a while...

needed a new set of wheels. wanted speedlines... silver = boring... white = too common... graphite = too much dark (my car is graphite grey)

for the 4 wheels, 4 part worn eagle f1's and the paint it has cost me no more than 60 quid... and there speedlines not smr's :)

so i came up with this... (left is half done... right is finished with just a last layer of lacquer to do)

ashwheels.jpg

Edited by ashley peddle

allanallen

i like them! lion logo in silver is a great finishing touch

full marks

Baz

wouldn't say 'Diamond cutting' mate! they do look the tits tho'. :blink: In my opinion they're better anyway as they've got the look but are a lot cheaper!! Glad you're happy with them and the wheel swap has done us both a favour. :) I haven't tried polishin the Diamond cut rims up yet, but of the few people that have seen them most reckon they'll come up again. :blink:

i did this with a set of 1600 rims and some chrome effect paint from hellfrauds

looked really good until i laquered them and the edge went all dull because the chrome paint reacted with the laquer

ill post some pics tomorow

Banjo

Did you spin them up on the car letting it fast idle in fifth with one wheel in the air? Seen that done before.

Ben

ashley peddle

nope... but thats a well cool idea :P

keith

let us know how you done the lip :P

i fancy doing this to my wheels

Paintguy

We need a close up :P

Did you use a similar method to the one I use - Sand the paint off the lip then lacquer over it? It takes a steady hand to get all the sanding marks exactly 'straight', and experimenting with different grades of paper to get it to look right. I find finishing off with a red Scotchpad to be the best way personally.

Using a similar method can get you a nice brushed aluminium finish too. Sand your primer with too rough a grit (say 320 or 400) apply a couple of coats of silver, then lacquer, and the scratch marks show through to give the brushed effect. Again though, you need to make sure you sand in perfectly straight and even lines, or it just looks a mess :D

Super Josh

Looking good Ash :P What sort of lacquer did you use?

Josh

ashley peddle

i used the smallest artist brush i could find and used the lip of the wheel to make a nice tidy job... :D was gona sand it but you need wheels without any limps or bumps if doing it like that... when your real close up and under light you can see imperfections but from a couple of feet away (or when they get on the car) you cant see hardly any imperfections :D

will have them on the car within a couple of weeks (there my track wheels and im off to haynes) so will get some piccies of them fitted :P

ashley peddle
We need a close up :D

ha ha noooo - youll see all the imperfections then ;)

they are far from perfect and the painting is done with rattle cans - nothing like the quality that a professional would get. BUT to buy the wheels/tyres and get the refurbed would cost £200+ and these cost me £60 inc the wheels and the paint so cant complain... they are track wheels so dont have to be 100%... :P

Looking good Ash :D What sort of lacquer did you use?

Josh

mbayley77

These are mine i done with Holts lacquer in a rattle can.

Photo

(the work of the image police here is done - Anthony :D)

Edited by Anthony

tom_m

ooo you're gonna be in trouble with the image police! :D

ashley peddle
These are mine i done with Holts lacquer in a rattle can.

Photo

(the work of the image police here is done - Anthony :blink:)

Thats cool :D Mine were done with rubbishy light/camera... will get good piccie in the light (with ant's camera ;))

Sign in to follow this