• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest pugpowa

1.6/1.9/mi Cranks

Guest pugpowa

my poor car has developed a bit of a bottom end knock and i've been offered a rebuilt 1.6 carb engine(done zero miles since rebuild) for considerably less than what it would cost for new bearings,regrind etc for the mi.

i was just wondering if anyone knew whether the cranks were different at all? i wasnt sure if it was the conrods or the crank that was different in the two engine sizes.

any help very much appreciated :)

Ryan

The cranks are different between different engine sizes, as it's the crank which detirmies the stroke length.

Pierre_b

Hello,

my poor car has developed a bit of a bottom end knock and i've been offered a rebuilt 1.6 carb engine(done zero miles since rebuild) for considerably less than what it would cost for new bearings,regrind etc for the mi.

i was just wondering if anyone knew whether the cranks were different at all? i wasnt sure if it was the conrods or the crank that was different in the two engine sizes.

any help very much appreciated :)

AFAIK, the crank are different between 1600 and 1900/1900 16s on 2 aspects :

- stroke : 73mm for 1600 and 88mm on 1900/1900 16s

- Rod bearing journal diameter : 45 on 1600 and 50 on 1600/1900 16s

There is also a difference between 1900 and 1900 16s, the 16 has 8 counterweigth when the 8 has only 4 (not so sure about that, never disassembled a 16s).

The conrod are different too (longer on the 1600).

Pierre

Edited by Pierre_b

Normski
There is also a difference between 1900 and 1900 16s, the 16 has 8 counterweigth when the 8 has only 4 (not so sure about that, never disassembled a 16s).

Pierre

Yes, that is correct. Mi16 crank is fully counter weighted, and is stronger than the 8v crank. :blink:

Guest pugpowa

thanks for all your advice people! ive had it all apart,loose capnut on the conrod,number 3 cylinder from the flywheel end being number 1,crank isnt damaged, so its just gonna be big end bearings. been quoted £35 for the set.so we'll see how she go's, strange thing was,there was no bits of metal in the oil, or floating around in the thin layer of gunk in the sump.bearing didnt seem scored or anything,but just kinda thinned in the middle! lucky escape i hope!

Normski

I've just noticed your rev-limit ;)

Might be an idea to fit a set of ARP conrod bolts while you are replacing the bigend bearings. ;)

petert
I've just noticed your rev-limit

Why would you rev it past 7200 if it only makes 179hp?

Guest pugpowa

it wasn't me who set the rev limit, so i'm not sure why its so high, but all i do know is that it pulls like a biatch all the way to the end!

probably why it broke tho!

Sign in to follow this