• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest callumlj

205 Gti Service

Guest callumlj

hi everyone just bought a f reg 205 1.6 gti. I want to give it a good looking over tomorrow and a service.

What do u think i should change i was thinking

oil ( what type should i use)

oil filter

Spark plugs What type

Air filter Would a induction kit be better

Coolant change.

Is there any link to show you how to service a 205. Is there anything i should change or do on these cars

thanks for the help

Ahl

Im sure you'll get plenty of helpful replies Callum, but please do try the search function too (above top right).

Many of these questions have been answered countless times before. :)

Bonzai

i'd also do a fuel filter and an injector cleaner (fuel additive like stp)

may also be wise to change ht leads and your dizzy cap

Edited by Bonzai

hengti

I'd recommend getting yourself a Haynes manual and running through all the service stuff in that - there's loads of stuff to be checking if you want to be sure you've got a decent one

Apart from the filters and all the other things that everyone automatically thinks about, you'll find guidance on (for example) checking the suspension components and bushes - which is tres important

Only problem in being thorough is that you're v likely to find a few things that you wouldn't previously have been worried about - 'ignorance is bliss' and all that!

Guest callumlj

do i need any special tools to get the sump undo. How hard is it to change the air filter and fuel filter

Richie-Van-GTi

filters are easy to change, oil filter removal tool is handy but not essential. Sump bolt is a 21mm :wacko:

jonD6B
do i need any special tools to get the sump undo. How hard is it to change the air filter and fuel filter

It's a fairly simple job but tight on space for the oil filter. If you haven't done it before a read of the Haynes manual would be a good idea. Make sure you depressurise the fuel system before taking the pipes off the fuel filter though. Whilst you're in and around the engine I would automatically change the coolant temp. sensor and check the oil and water temp gauges inside the car are working o.k. Personally I wouldn't change the coolant unless it has overheating problems and wouldn't change the leads unless it has an ignition problem (if it isn't broken don't fix it). A rotor arm, cap, oil and filter, air and fuel filters and plugs will normally suffice. After market are fine and I favour Bosch 4's personally but other people may have their own preferences. Good luck with it.

jim205GTI

Suprised this has not been said yet but find out when the cambelt was last done................. if not been done for a while or been sat for ages would be worth changing :wacko:

jonD6B
Suprised this has not been said yet but find out when the cambelt was last done................. if not been done for a while or been sat for ages would be worth changing :wacko:

Very good point.

Sign in to follow this