• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jim205GTI

Mi Cooling System

jim205GTI

Preparing to do the engine swap soon and want to get an idea of the pipework before i start....

1: Near the bottom of the 8v engine there is like a connection block with 3 pipes connected.... and a connection block behind the thermostat which has pipe ( or two, can't remember) coming from it to the heater matrix i believe. On the 16v though the lower connection block looks like it has more connections to it and there is no connection block behind the thermo. Can i just use the one from the 8v block and replace the one on the mi or does it have to be the mi one? ( almost confusing myself on this one ;) )

if anyone has a guide of diagram of how the cooling is sorted for an mi in the 205 i would be so grateful :D

2: In one the fan cowlings i believe the oil cooler is mounted. When the cowling is trimmed and the rad tilted can this stay there or will it have to be moved?

Cheers

Jim :(

Banjo

post-11-1062263255.jpg

Thats how I did it but left out the oil cooler and the throttle body so took the purple one in that pic to the top of the thermo housing.

Ben

Edited by Banjo

Ryan

This is how I'm doing mine. Identical to the above layout, except that the oil cooler is T'd into the rad top hose using the hose from a late spec non-pas GTI. This lets me keep the 205 thermostat cover, which is metal instead of the plastic on one the mi16 (as my plastic one broke), also useful if you don't have a BX bottom hose.

image11au.png

Edited by RyanMoore

James_m

Is it possible to do this using all 8v pipes, or is there some Mi specific hoses you have to use?

Miles

The basic idea is keep the system as the 8v engine was, Ditch the water pipe at the back of the cam cover as these pipes you can;t buy anymore and it makes the engine bay look neater without them

jim205GTI

Wow cheers guys!! thats just what i needed....... i had some sort of idea but these just clear it up for me!!!

cheers

jim

Super Josh
This is how I'm doing mine. Identical to the above layout, except that the oil cooler is T'd into the rad top hose using the hose from a late spec non-pas GTI.

Shouldn't that be a hose from a late spec pas GTI? Which has the water/oil heat exchanger mounted on the gearbox? If you use a non pas hose, i didn't think that they had the oil/water exchanger and so just had a straight through top hose, or have i got it all wrong? :)

Josh

Ryan
Shouldn't that be a hose from a late spec pas GTI? Which has the water/oil heat exchanger mounted on the gearbox? If you use a non pas hose, i didn't think that they had the oil/water exchanger and so just had a straight through top hose, or have i got it all wrong? :)

Josh

The car my top hose came from didn't have PAS. It did have the water/oil cooler, but fitted directly to the block (as on the mi16). It may well be the same hose as the PAS car with the gearbox-mounted cooler though.

Sign in to follow this