• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mbayley77

Solid Botom Mount.

mbayley77

Is a solid mount actually solid?

I can get one turned up without any trouble at all if they are totally solid which should save a few quid.

i am on about the bottom mount by the way as my MI seems to move around more than i would like it too.

Cheers for your help.

Greenys_meanies
Is a solid mount actually solid?

I can get one turned up without any trouble at all if they are totally solid which should save a few quid.

i am on about the bottom mount by the way as my MI seems to move around more than i would like it too.

Cheers for your help.

Now thats a good question, depends, in my opinion, for road/race then no, its a poly or nylon bush instead of rubber, but if it's purely race then it could be solid, but so would all the rest of the mounts and you would get all of the vibrations from the engine though the car!

I used to race a formula 2 superstock that had solid engine mounts and at idle it would give you a headache from the vibrations!

just get nylon/poly/competition mounts.

petert

I have a solid ureathane mount, which has been fine with 160hp. A friend who has 200hp tried the same but disliked it due to the excessive wheelspin. He returned to the Grp. N mount. Both cars had Quaife diffs. I haven't tried the ureathane bush yet with my new 220hp+ engine. There has to be some give in the mount. Even the ureathane bush gives unacceptable viabrations for a road car.

James_R

I've ordered a sold rear mount from bakers, but can' remember if it's a GRP N or A, the pic looks like a sold lump of metal. My Mi is moving a bit too much aswell. Shoudl be in th epost today, so I'll post up a pic, was £30 inc postage as I didn;'t want the full set (£90)

mbayley77

Wheelspin would be a nightmare I agree. It is for race purposes only so vibration is not really an issue. We have quantities of Nylon and aluminium here so maybe i shall get one of each made up and try em out. Do bakers have a website?

Thanks

Jonmurgie

Bakers have a site here: http://www.bakerbm.com/

The 'solid' rear engine mount you can get at the moment is still essentially rubber... if you wanted to go firmer then just turn a solid one out of aluminium (and one for me too while your at it please!)

With regard to the rear beam mounts, GrpN is uprated rubber and GrpA is solid aluminium :mellow:

boombang

I've been out in a car with solid ally lower mount and grp N hard rubber elsewhere.

Driving about there was very little difference felt but at idle it was certainly not comfortable.

I agree for a road car solid would be OTT - the hard rubber kits are more than good enough IMO.

mbayley77

Right then. If i can get these turned then ill do one for you too! Youll have to buy me a few beers for it :mellow:

I have the solid rear mounts already. Coupled with a lowered back beam and a roll cage fitted its tail happy to say the least!

Edited by mbayley77

Sign in to follow this