• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Andy205GTX

205 Gtx Poor Performance When Cold.

Guest Andy205GTX

Hi everybody, I'm new to all this (and car ownership) so go easy on me.

Heres my problem,

I've got a 1993 205 GTX 1.4i: TU3M, (its my first 205, and first car).

Heres The first bit, it seems to start fine, pretty much first time every time, however after starting it idles pretty high (at about 2000rpm) and when reved up a little it takes a while for the revs to drop.

Then when trying to move off before the car is 'warm' (usually coincides with when it is idling properly) there is a real lack of power; I mean when I put my foot down completely nothing happens, its dead slow (this is usually accompanied by great/white smoke from the exhaust), then suddenly the engine will find some power and shoot you forward (usually when hitting high revs). It seems to do this in all gears when cold, after about 10mins driving it is fine.

It has been to a garage for a more immediate problem and I asked them comment on this, they didnt really look into it much and hinted that it 'could' be the throttle body.

Anybody familiar with this? any ideas?

(my knowledge of car mechanics is pretty low/beginner standard, but we all have to start somewhere)

Cheers,

Andy

Rippthrough
Hi everybody, I'm new to all this (and car ownership) so go easy on me.

Heres my problem,

I've got a 1993 205 GTX 1.4i: TU3M, (its my first 205, and first car).

Heres The first bit, it seems to start fine, pretty much first time every time, however after starting it idles pretty high (at about 2000rpm) and when reved up a little it takes a while for the revs to drop.

Then when trying to move off before the car is 'warm' (usually coincides with when it is idling properly) there is a real lack of power; I mean when I put my foot down completely nothing happens, its dead slow (this is usually accompanied by great/white smoke from the exhaust), then suddenly the engine will find some power and shoot you forward (usually when hitting high revs). It seems to do this in all gears when cold, after about 10mins driving it is fine.

It has been to a garage for a more immediate problem and I asked them comment on this, they didnt really look into it much and hinted that it 'could' be the throttle body.

Anybody familiar with this? any ideas?

(my knowledge of car mechanics is pretty low/beginner standard, but we all have to start somewhere)

Cheers,

Andy

We had the exact same thing, the rev's being slow to drop is normal I think, poor mapping + management are to blame.

The lurching that we got was cureed by turning all three screws on the pressure regulator (at the front of the throttle body, inside) counterclockwise by 1/3 of a turn, so that the marks on them were all in line. Looked like someone had tampered with them before and turned them too far clockwise.

Anyway, that appeared to solve it for us, unless perhaps we disturbed something else at the same time.

Edit: - Could also be a 'sticky' valve, so check all the tappet clearances etc. 2000rpm thing is more likely to be incorrectly adjusted throttle cable than anything else.

Edited by Rippthrough

Guest Andy205GTX

Thanks for the input, I will what I the screws are like. Thought maybe the high idling was common and possibly not related to the other problem.

macaroni

Hi Andy, welcome to the forums and to 205 ownership. I got my first one 15 years ago and have had one ever since - wonderful cars.

Any decent garage should be able to sort this out. These are pretty straightforward engines and the electronics on the injected models is archiaic so should hold no surprises for the experienced mechanic.

Hope you get it sorted.

RHULPUG

I had one of these 2 years ago, and it had exactly the same problem. The head gasket did go during my ownership as well, and after that was sorted it seemed to run a lot better. IMO the sluggish performance when started was a good way in stopping me from caning it from cold, which in turn allowed the oil to warm up to running temp. It seems with most 205s they need a little while to warm up anyway, even the gearboxes don't loosen up until after a few minutes so may just have to live with it....I did:)

timmsy19
It seems with most 205s they need a little while to warm up anyway, even the gearboxes don't loosen up until after a few minutes so may just have to live with it....I did:)

yup mine is the same. really cold start ups the gears take a bit of a push to get in gear and it does take abit to warm up. looks like most 205 do have this problem. my brothers also does it.

Edited by timmsy19

Sign in to follow this