• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
madmoog

Locked Glove Box, No Key!

madmoog

None original interior and no key for the glove box, not a problem until I shut it one day and it locked itself :) Having looked at another it seems that the lock is effectivly sealed into the glove box lid so probably difficult to repair/unlock.

Does anyone know if I can manage to open/remove it while it is locked (can't remember if it needs to be open to get to some internal fastenings. Or do I need to resort to a sacricial openning with a large screwdriver and then obtain a new one with a KEY!!

Any suggestions gladly appreciated.

Ahl

I've had the same thing. Pain in the arse isn't it.

You can try thumping the glovebox lock to get it to spring open or try to pick the lock (its very simple). Once open, the lock has a little plastic tab that you can remove and once you do this it can never lock itself again.

I don't think you can access the screws to remove the thing without opening it up. Others might know differently though.

Col

i swear a screw driver works, if not get every key or car key in the house and try it, i bet one of them works

pugrallye

get big screwdriver and prise it quickly, will snap the locking bracket, but grab another from scrappies only 2 screws hold it on, inside the glovebox lid, you will see a little locking slider, slide it and superglue it, so no chance of locking again!

Greenys_meanies

Mine did that, locked itself! i found pulling the glovebox from the left hand side (nearest door) with enough force it popped the lock and didn't even damage anything!!! i then removed the little plastic tab to stop it from locking too.

fulani

Just snapped the lock on mine trying to get it open. Why does it lock itself? Stoopid thing.

Anyone know of a scrappy in/near Southampton that may have a spare lock?

richsmells
Anyone know of a scrappy in/near Southampton that may have a spare lock?

There's a scrappy behind the football stadium somewhere. Very close by anyway. They had a few base model 205s there and a couple of GTIs.

Foltan

Mine uses the ignition key, do you not have that?

fulani
Mine uses the ignition key, do you not have that?

Didn't work when I bought it (already been replaced) and now on my second one since then anyway.

D'oh!

Sign in to follow this