• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
SPGTi

Raising Rear Beam

SPGTi

I have searched, read the 2 guides on the main site and think I am nearly ready to attempt raising the rear ride height by about 10-15mm.

I have a re-furbed rear beam on at the moment which is about 18 months old and done about 2000miles so don't expect anything to be seized.

I will make up some dummy shocks about 3-4mm longer than the existing bolt to bolt measurement.

Do I need to remove the end plates to remove the torsion bars ?

What else do I need to be aware of ?

I am after as much info as possible as I will only have about 3 hours to do the job

cheers

steve

pug_ham

Steve, You don't need to remove the ARB end plates to do this but both ends need to be disconnected from the trailing arm & it turned out of the way so the offset washer & torx bolt for the passenger side can be accessed.

When I rebuilt my beam, I adjusted the ride height three times until I was happy with it, last time it took me an hour start to finish.

To lift the ride height by 10-15mm you'll need more than a 3-4mm difference between shocker mounting imo but its basically a trial & error job.

Graham.

SPGTi

Thanks for the reply. If I can do the job in an hour I will be chuffed. Looking again I see I will need to make a dummy shock 8-10mm longer than the distance I have now.

So once I have loosen the bars (recessed washer etc) the bar should slide out ? Which side ?

Sorry for the questions but there doesn't seem to be a guide / many ref to altering the ride height of a "beam" only ref to a potentially seized beam or using the spline method.

Steve

pug_ham

Once you've loosened the bolt, offset washer & 13mm nut on the stud from the oppostie end of the torsion bar & supported the weight of the radius arm in a neutral position (shock disconnected) the bars should slide out fairly easily but an M8 bolt threaded in with a nut & washer against the radius arm can help get it moving. The bar slides towards you depending on what side of the car you are working on.

rearbeamrefurb08.jpg

I take it you are completely removing the torsion bar from the radius arm to do this & not by the spline method?

You don't need a dummy shock if you are good with a tape measure but its a far more accurate way to make something. I've used a piece of wood with holes drilled at the distance apart I want but I'm currently looking at making a proper dummy shock with 0.5mm increments.

When you refit it all, I fit the offset washer & torx bolt first & then reset the end stop for the 13mm nut by screwing the stud fully into the bar while its apart & then unscrewing it until it hits the end plate firmly & holding it while tightening the 13mm nut.

Its not a hard job just as long as it all comes apart nicely.

Graham.

Sign in to follow this